Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer  (Read 1231 times)

need advice 123

• View Profile
Transfer
« on: October 08, 2008, 12:44:50 PM »
I am currently at a T4 but its not where I want to be.  I am thinking about moving back to Texas, specifically Houston.  Ideally I would like to transfer to UH, but I was wondering if it would make sense to try to transfer to STCL.  I know its only a T4 but it seems to place really well in Houston.  Would this make sense?  Its where I want to be so I know it makes sense for that reason.  I think I might have just answered my question.  I like the school I am at right now but its in the middle of nowhere with pretty limited opportunities.  I also realize that transferring to UH would be a long shot, so that whys I am considering STCL.  Also, what would I need to do to transfer to STCL (gpa, rank, etc.).

Thanks

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Transfer
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 03:45:37 PM »
There is always something to be said for going to school where you want to practice, especially if your degree isn't particularly portable.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

need advice 123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 05:42:40 PM »
There is always something to be said for going to school where you want to practice, especially if your degree isn't particularly portable.

Thanks for the advice.  The aspect of portability is something that I need to look at.  Even though STCL is still a T4 is still carries some weight in Houston and other parts of Texas.  Whereas the school that I am at right now doesn't carry much weight outside of the area (an area which I do not see myself spending a substantial portion of my life in).

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 08:42:35 PM »
UH is not a transfer friendly law school. They require you to be in the top 5%.  With that stats, you can probably get into some Top 14 law schools. In other words, if you have what it takes to tranfer into UH, you probably can trafer to UT, WUSL, Georgetown, etc. too, so why waste the application fee on UH, even if Houston is where you want to be, you can always return there with your Top 20 law school degree. 

Many UH law graduates are currently struggling to get jobs, let along STCL graduates and especially a tranferer.  These are things you need to consider.  The high tuitioin at STCL is not worth it, unless you're at the top of the class.  Have you considered Texas Tech? 

need advice 123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 10:37:47 PM »
UH is not a transfer friendly law school. They require you to be in the top 5%.  With that stats, you can probably get into some Top 14 law schools. In other words, if you have what it takes to tranfer into UH, you probably can trafer to UT, WUSL, Georgetown, etc. too, so why waste the application fee on UH, even if Houston is where you want to be, you can always return there with your Top 20 law school degree. 

Many UH law graduates are currently struggling to get jobs, let along STCL graduates and especially a tranferer.  These are things you need to consider.  The high tuitioin at STCL is not worth it, unless you're at the top of the class.  Have you considered Texas Tech? 

Hey, thanks for the advice.  I hadn't thought about Tech, but I will look into it.  Is a degree from Tech portable within the whole state? Thanks.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 11:23:39 PM »

Hey, thanks for the advice.  I hadn't thought about Tech, but I will look into it.  Is a degree from Tech portable within the whole state? Thanks.

Finding a job is about your achievements (law review, top grades, moot court, trial court, externships, etc.), connections, and luck.  A Houston firm is not going to choose a STCL graduate over a Texas Tech graduates if the latter has any of the above that the former doesn't have.  With that being said, some hiring partners are somewhat loyal to their law schools, but at the end of the day, more often than not, they will choose the more qualified candidate. 

How do you think you will rank?  Maybe you'll be in the bottom half and no schools will take you as a transfer.  There is a 50% chance of that happening.  Will you be able to get instate tuition at Tech if they do take you?  Once again, UH is VERY transfer unfriendly.  If you can get in there, you will probably get into UT, UCLA, and Georgetown. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 08:30:54 AM »

Yes, but if you strike out in the Eastern part of the state, Odessa (or somewhere similar) is probably going to be your best bet, so keep that in mind.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.