Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: post-offer questions  (Read 1154 times)

kms

• View Profile
    • Email
post-offer questions
« on: October 08, 2008, 12:19:58 PM »
I've got an offer at a large IP boutique, but they don't have a NALP form so I don't know what their first year associate salary is like.

Is it appropriate to ask the recruiting coordinator this question?  Moreover, is it ever appropriate to ask how large the summer associate class will be and what percentage of summer associates are given full-time offers?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: post-offer questions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 12:23:27 PM »
I've got an offer at a large IP boutique, but they don't have a NALP form so I don't know what their first year associate salary is like.

Is it appropriate to ask the recruiting coordinator this question?  Moreover, is it ever appropriate to ask how large the summer associate class will be and what percentage of summer associates are given full-time offers?

1. You can ask the size if you are curious.
2. Dont ask the percentage question.  Have some confidence that, regardless of the number they are willing to offer jobs to, you will be in that group.  You dont want to start off paranoid.  Plus, every firm will tell you that they are prepared to give offers to everyone (as we saw this past summer, very few meant this).

If you want to know the salary, do a search on abovethelaw.com, or post the name of the firm on here.  If it is a large IP boutique, I wouldnt imagine it would vary that much from the market salary for other large firms in that city.

t14troll

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 12:29:13 PM »
Don't be paranoid - ask any questions you have. This is a big decision and the firm wouldn't want you making a decision with imperfect information just because you are afraid to ask. Do your due diligence. Ask how many summers they had last year and how many got offers. Of those, how many have accepted? Is there anyone from your school who summered there recently? etc.

kms

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 01:12:16 PM »
Thanks for your quick responses.  I actually have managed to find a first-year associate salary on alreadybored.com.  However, I know that the site is not entirely up to date since at least one other firm on the local list of firms has hiked their salary since.  I guess I will go ahead with the point-blank question to the recruiting coordinator.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 04:50:44 PM »
If you're evaluating multiple offers, you definitely need to ask the percentage offered question.  It makes a big difference if it's 100%, 90%, or 50%. 

I think I agree. I take back my advice after thinking about it for a while.  Ask any of your questions, but definitely make them tactful.