Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PS Topic  (Read 534 times)

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
PS Topic
« on: October 08, 2008, 12:49:26 AM »
I know it's a little late, but every time I try to start my PS I end up with something inappropriate for law school. I'm trying to avoid doing something cliche, but am having trouble finding a good angle.

How much/in what context did you discuss law school or the study of the law? I'm having trouble tactfully incorporating this into my PS, but don't want to exclude it entirely.

How did you guys find solid ideas for your personal statements? I wish I had known I was applying to law school earlier, because I would have kept a handy list of life-changing moments I could later refer to when filling out my applications. If any of you are English people and have a good idea for brainstorming, let me know. I'm seriously stumped and just need to get a good PS started soon.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: PS Topic
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 07:02:28 AM »
I talk about law very little in mine.  And I picked my topic by thinking about something that was important to me and I wanted to tell about, and also incorporating an antidote someone else liked to tell because the themes were relateable, and then talked about law a bit in the end.

I would make a list of qualities/things you would like to portray about yourself in your essay.  Then I would think about stories you would like to tell, or people like to tell about you, and see if any of those convey the qualities on your list.  That's a good way to start brain storming.  Good luck!
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Legally Brown "Sugah"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 08:50:33 AM »
I would have to agree with blueskies.  I ended up using a pretty silly fear of mine as a narrative to discuss the challenges that I have overcome.  I talk about law a little bit at the end and I only recently added that part because I received advice that I should probably tie in a desire to attend law school.  I have been writing and rewriting mine for awhile (before knowing about PS vs DS) so mine probably reads like mosts people's diversity statements, but its going to be my general personal statement and I'll probably just write Why X essays for schools with optional statements.

I used the same approach mentioned above.  I had a running list of qualities that I might like to discuss (I would keep a word document up in the background all day and when I thought about something I would type it in, the document ended up being a jumbled mess of my thoughts but it worked) and then once I narrowed those qualities down to something that might tell the most about who I am, I started thinking of stories that might help someone form a full mental picture in their mind.  Hope this helps!

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 01:58:32 PM »
thanks a lot! hopefully I can get it finished before I get my score back.