Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: asking a prof for a LOR who you have never spoken with?  (Read 1050 times)

shmoo597

• View Profile
asking a prof for a LOR who you have never spoken with?
« on: October 07, 2008, 10:36:22 PM »
Here is my situation - I am struggling to get LOR's from two professors. I have one prof lined up for sure (and another letter from an intern supervisor), but I am trying to get a second professor.

I have two options in this. One is a prof who barley knows me, but who knows me as smart and engaged student. He read a few of my emails to his lecture hall of 250 people. But beyond that, I barley know him. Sadly, do to dumbass TA's, I got a B+ in the class.

The other option is a prof who I never spoke to, and who does not know me. But I did get an A+ in his class, and the TA of that class whose discussion section I was in, (who sadly, is back in the UK now), liked me.

So...should I go with the first, or the second guy? And any advice on approaching these guys, who hardly know me? Thanks.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: asking a prof for a LOR who you have never spoken with?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 12:40:42 AM »
why not ask your British TA? A lot of schools say they understand that in large lecture classes your TA knows you better than your prof and that is perfectly acceptable. Because I'd rather have a LOR from a TA who knows me and likes me than a prof who prob. doesn't know you that well and can't really provide any personal commentary. But if you have to choose, go for Prof #1.

klmnumbers

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: asking a prof for a LOR who you have never spoken with?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 02:58:24 PM »
I agree with the above poster. From what I've gathered, schools would rather receive a letter from a TA if it shows that they *know* you better and have a more involved/interested letter about you. A general letter with no specifics written by someone who likely barely remembers you isn't as strong.

But I agree, I'd go with Prof #1 if you have to choose. Even if you didn't get an A in the class, it's clear that professor respects you as he read your e-mails to his lecture hall.
LSN - even tho I have no numbers yet. There it is.