Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory People Generally Talking Amongst Ourselves  (Read 22751 times)

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2008, 11:45:27 PM »
Hope everyone's exams have been fun so far!

Regarding the 165 deal ... that makes sense, right?  We have almost nobody over 166, so let's say that 166+ has like 40% of our class.  Probably 45% of our class has a 165, and then probably 15% of our class are URMs with under a 165.  That would make 165 our median, and if you were a non-URM that's what you would have needed to get in.  I'm guessing our 25/50%'s are 165/166...

Anyway, there's no telling what's going to happen next year, so apply anyway.  With the awful economy, there might be way more people going to law school or maybe way less people (you guys have probably figured it out already).  Because our endowment is invested, we might not give out much $$$ and that might result in lower scores getting in.

Anyway, contracts should be fun, right?

Edit: Now that I think about it, our 25th % might really suck.  If 15% of our class are URMs, and they range from 155 to 160 mostly, then we might end up with something kind of crappy for our 25%.  Since our 75% didn't go up much, that might screw us over a bit on USNews.
Emory 2L
LSN

gowi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2008, 08:36:17 PM »
Y'all think too damn much.

;D

gowi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2008, 09:06:26 AM »
Heyo, big day tomorrow huh?  I predict 35 Bs and 35 B+s.

Haha, at least there won't be any C's or D's.

I will be so glad when this class is over.

Sarahpi

• Survival of the Rockingest!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SarahNoPie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2008, 10:09:48 AM »
Hey, so I'm in for next year. I'm thinking of starting an Emory 2012 thread- will any of you current students come over there to help the rising 1Ls with questions about logistics, finding a place to live, etc?

Sarahpi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2008, 12:28:17 PM »
Great, thanks! I figured it will probably be a slow thread for a while, until more people get acceptances/make decisions, but we might as well get this show on the road now.

3-Elle

• Sr. Citizen
  • I secretly love passive voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2008, 12:31:42 PM »
Hey, so I'm in for next year. I'm thinking of starting an Emory 2012 thread- will any of you current students come over there to help the rising 1Ls with questions about logistics, finding a place to live, etc?

Congrats! And absolutely...provided we all make it out of this contracts exam alive  ;) There's also a lot of good info if you can find the old Emory 2011 thread, it's mostly still applicable, and it was really helpful to me last year.
Emory 3L

Sarahpi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2008, 03:14:14 PM »
Yeah, I've gotten a lot of good info out of that thread. Starting the new one now!

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2008, 06:42:54 PM »
Congrats on getting in!  And yeah, all the specific-type questions you have, just ask.  Also, I'm not 100% sure how helpful the ol' emory 2011 thread will be.  It seems like the idiot that created it wasn't even a student at the time and he's out there trying to give all sorts of specifics!
Emory 2L
LSN

crazyinkorea

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2008, 12:08:01 AM »
New here.  I had a question concerning the employment prospects for Emory grads in Atlanta and the South more generally.  I was wondering class % was needed for Big law in Atl or in smaller Southern markets such as Nashville. My thought was around top 25% for Atl and perhaps top 33% for elsewhere,  Thanks ahead of time 

crazyinkorea

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2008, 01:20:54 AM »
Good points raised.  I am applying 2009-10 cycle so my hope is that the economy has calmed down a bit in that time and perhaps returned to some form of a bull market by 2013.

Another question I had was how lenient Emory was with money last year.  This thread has already discussed this to a point, but splintered into LSAT average raising, but I was wondering  if there was any word if Emory plans on being as liberal with the purse strings as they were last year? I understand you may not know, but thought your guess was better than mine.  In Korea