Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory People Generally Talking Amongst Ourselves  (Read 22221 times)

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2008, 09:17:06 AM »
I didn't have Mayton, but I my friends in his class told me he was pretty sick, which is why he might have wanted to be somewhere else.

This is more for the 1Ls on here, or any OLs that end up at Emory: While I wouldn't completely throw away comments in those SBA evaluations, I would also take a look at the grade people received in that class. A lot of times, those who made an A think the class was incredible, while those who made a B had the professor. Something to think about ...

EDIT: Sorry guys, didn't notice that the Spring 08 sheets do not have grades. For some of the other years they are there and you should take a look.

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2008, 11:37:22 AM »
what's up dude.

don't know a thing about him, but this is the only writeup on the SBA class evals (from Con Law I last Spring):

"Mayton ran this class as though he'd rather be anywhere else but in front of it.  He showed up late, dismissed early, mumbled, became frustrated when the class didn't understand his rambling questions, and if a student asked a question he thought beneath him, he would either answer in a single word ("No"), mock them, or occasionally, become angry at them.  He is very accomplished and obviously quite brilliant at the material; however, his experience and intelligence do the class little good."

good riddance, I guess?

ETA: found his Admin Law evaluations.  Will PM them your way.  (People liked it way better than his Con class, apparently.)

And yeah, ATL was poppin last night.

Thanks again. the PM info is very useful and I'll pass it along. FWIW I'm finding courses on admin/regulatory law are far more useful in my career development than other classes (like con law, which often just felt like a history class).  And I don't think we're stealing Mayton... he's visited at a number of schools so this may just be a way for him to engage in some joint scholarship opportunities with members of the Vanderbilt faculty before he returns to ATL in the fall. So Emory 0Ls can still suffer through Con Law next year like everyone else has to.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2008, 09:17:13 PM »
And about our facilities, I went to a really modern (and bucolic) undergrad, so I expected anything would be a downgrade, but I haven't been bummed at all about Emory's law building.  It's totally ugly on the outside, but the interior and the layout make it a pretty good place to spend your day.

The facilities get the job done, but it is a horribly ugly building all around. The interior isn't much better.
VIP.

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2008, 10:37:28 PM »
Haha, I don't even think the exterior looks bad, and I think the interior is really nice.

I remember when I first visited, I recalled the PrincetonReview comment that the law building is a "stain on an otherwise beautiful campus."  I saw the law building and assumed it wasn't the right one because I thought it was really nice.

I guess there must be other schools that are much nicer.  My undergrad campus is probably one of the nicest in the country (although pretty different and more natural), and I am not at all displeased with Emory's facilities.

At any rate, I guess for interested students the consensus is that the facilities are not very nice, but not terrible.
Emory 2L
LSN

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2008, 09:09:17 AM »
The facilities get the job done, but it is a horribly ugly building all around. The interior isn't much better.

I'm backing up Capt on this one. It is isn't too bad actually, until you go over to the med school, or the biz school, or the school of public health. Our building was built in the 60s and it shows. That being said, I've been to worse law school buildings and it does get the job done.

Someone on here was going to visit the first week in Dec? I'm not sure if that is prudent. That is the weekend right before exams start.

servinglife

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2008, 11:37:29 AM »
I have a masters degree in Theology and Emory's interdisciplinary programs in law and theology interest me, especially as it adopts a comprehenisve approach to the impact of the law upon our rights to freedom.

Does anyone have familiarity with the Center for the Study of Law and Religion? Do law students not pursuing a joint degree typically take classes in this program?

Regarding the environmental program, can you give some idea about the field placements or the accomplishments/focus of the Turner Clinic?

This may be more for 2L/3Ls that are following the thread. Thanks for the info.

togbra

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2008, 05:34:23 PM »
I have a masters degree in Theology and Emory's interdisciplinary programs in law and theology interest me, especially as it adopts a comprehenisve approach to the impact of the law upon our rights to freedom.

Does anyone have familiarity with the Center for the Study of Law and Religion? Do law students not pursuing a joint degree typically take classes in this program?

Regarding the environmental program, can you give some idea about the field placements or the accomplishments/focus of the Turner Clinic?

This may be more for 2L/3Ls that are following the thread. Thanks for the info.

There are a few people taking classes in theology (I know at least one person, but I don't know that much more about the center).  Any JD student can take 6 hours outside of the law school in other grad schools (you have to get approval (from freer), which is to say you have to show how it would help your law career/education, but it is pretty much a rubber stamp).

As for a the turner clinic, i assume you have seen the webpage, but considering how bad the emory web page is -  http://www.law.emory.edu/programs-centers-clinics/environmental-law/turner-clinic.html . I believe that some of the field clinics are not available anymore, but you can check out the field clinic page - http://www.law.emory.edu/current-students/registrar/field-placements.html

togbra

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2008, 05:40:33 PM »
Where do you guys do Trivia?

I haven't seen any group of 2L dorks to rival us at Mellow Mushroom.

We used to go to Mellow Mushroom last year, but we moved on to dominate Hand in Hand this semester.
We dominated you 1Ls this past week... :P

Sarahpi

• Survival of the Rockingest!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SarahNoPie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2008, 10:52:27 PM »
Thanks to all who gave me feedback on my financial aid situation a couple weeks ago! I ended up visiting the campus two weeks ago and was able to speak to the admissions officer who led my info session (Khary Hornsby) for a few minutes after the tour. I briefly covered my situation and he recommended writing a letter now, rather than later- because this year, Emory will send scholarship information out with acceptance letters, rather than waiting till February.

So I came home, sent a letter a couple days later, and then a few days after that got the email that my application file is complete. Now it's time to wait and see.

Sarahpi

• Survival of the Rockingest!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SarahNoPie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2008, 10:38:42 PM »
Sweet! He seemed like a pretty nice guy and was really helpful.