Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory People Generally Talking Amongst Ourselves  (Read 22601 times)

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Emory 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 10:19:25 AM »
I'm not asking this question to be a male private part or anything, but how are things working out with career services? That made me very nervous last year.

I think that is a reasonable question. From my personal experience/perspective, I am happy with the service I received from the office. I think, like many places, it depends on your counselor. Fortunately for me, I did not need to go outside of the the many OCI opportunities presented to all students. We have two "regular" OCIs where firms come to campus. One in August that is mostly big firms. One in September that is mostly mid sized or large in small market firms. We also have two, Emory only job fairs that are in NYC and DC. I think between those four events, about 100 firms were on the table. There is also an OCI in the spring, but I think that is targeted more toward 1Ls. Long story short: they get a lot of firms to interview us.

If you don't go the OCI route, the experience may be different. I cannot (and probably Captain cannot) comment on that because I didn't need to go that way. Last year (for 1L summer), my counselor got me an interview through someone she knew. Didn't get a job out of it, but at least she had a contact she could leverage for me. I do hear a lot of people complaining about other counselors, but I have no idea how well founded it is. I think in this market, if you don't have the grades and journal/moot court experience, it is going to be tough. Career Services just can't magically get you a job. I think students at other law schools will have similar complaints.

I will say this, at least we had ours crazy early, which I think helped out a lot. Some Emory people had offers before many of our "peer" schools did screening interviews.

Sarahpi

• Survival of the Rockingest!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SarahNoPie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 05:29:43 PM »
You apply, get accepted, get 75k.  You write, very frankly, that Emory is honestly your top pick even though you are aware you can get into a T10 school and you know that people with lower scores got more money than you and you just want to be equal and plan to attend if that is the case.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm thinking I'll wait until I've been accepted to say anything, but possibly bring it up before they announce financial aid, if only because Emory is infamous for not liking to negotiate once they've made an offer. So if I do it that way, it would be, "Apply, get in, write frank letter of first-choice-ness, then hopefully get more than 75k."

The other thing is, I submitted a whole pile of applications last year and did get into several T14s. The whole reason I'm doing this year's round of apps is because I realized I wanted to stay in the South and settle in Atlanta. So is it worth saying, "I got into X, Y and Z schools, but Emory is my first choice and I will attend if you come through with aid"?

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »
Yeah.  One other thing:  do you have any reason to want to go to Emory other than you want to work in the south?  I would probably take a close-to-full-ride at Duke if I were you.  I hate not to campaign for Emory, but in your situation it seems like there are some much better options.
Emory 2L
LSN

Sarahpi

• Survival of the Rockingest!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SarahNoPie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2008, 09:52:29 PM »
Don't think I haven't thought about it, 81, but I'm really anxious to live in Atlanta again- I've been in NC for the last 3+ years and the prospect of 3 more isn't very attractive. I have a pretty large network of friends and connections in Atlanta, plan to settle there, and if financial aid does come through, having way fewer loans would, for me, make it worth turning down the t14. I would definitely choose Duke (or various other schools) if GA State or Mercer were the only Atlanta options, but I can live with more money at an excellent place like Emory.

I am applying to Duke this year, though, so that would be a backup plan if Emory stiffs me on $.

gowi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 05:04:01 PM »
Uh huh, I figured some of you were here with an Emory questions thread.  ;D I am wondering who Number81 is though...I'm betting I know but had no idea you were on LSD.

I have nothing useful to add for the 0L's, sorry. heh.

Oh, wait, I can add something. I love my professors, seriously. I have a few complaints (most of them voiced already) but definitely not with the professors or the courses. Overall, I'm loving Emory.

Also, a rather high percentage of our class were non-trads, most having worked 1-2 years for congressmen or as paralegals, that sort of thing.

And Emory is not a southern school, not at all.

3-Elle

• Sr. Citizen
  • I secretly love passive voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 05:54:57 PM »
Uh huh, I figured some of you were here with an Emory questions thread.  ;D I am wondering who Number81 is though...I'm betting I know but had no idea you were on LSD.

I have nothing useful to add for the 0L's, sorry. heh.

Oh, wait, I can add something. I love my professors, seriously. I have a few complaints (most of them voiced already) but definitely not with the professors or the courses. Overall, I'm loving Emory.

Also, a rather high percentage of our class were non-trads, most having worked 1-2 years for congressmen or as paralegals, that sort of thing.

And Emory is not a southern school, not at all.

Gowi, you know who Number81 is...he just changed his name on here...look at his LSN.

And for the 0Ls, Emory is great so far. I love my classmates, and there have been so many networking opportunities. The professors are great (especially the civ pro professors) and Atlanta is a really fun city with fantastic weather. :) Can't complain.
Emory 3L

3-Elle

• Sr. Citizen
  • I secretly love passive voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 06:09:18 PM »
So now we've got like half of our Civ Pro class in the same thread.  Classy, Emory.

I thought this was our contracts class... :)
Emory 3L

gowi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 10:55:36 AM »
OH NOES! My secret identity has been revealed.

*posts from Contracts class*

togbra

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 07:59:24 PM »
I remembered [captain] posting on here last year.  I'm trying to figure out who you are!

The captain is the grinning idiot with a phillies hat on because the yankees suck this year.  and for the record, he has no friends inside or outside of the law school. and new jersey sucks.  and he still has not figured out who i am

Emory is a good school with great profs. I like my classmates (2Ls) and the 1Ls are nice (though they study way harder than they should). It's a good place to go to school.

to the person considering duke, if I was choosing between duke and emory, i would go to duke.  even if i was looking to work in atlanta, i would chose duke. a lot of people from duke work in atlanta, especially in biglaw.  but that is an individual choice, hating NC is a good reason, but i would weigh it carefully.

I would also agree with a previous comment about atl law firms wanting you to only look at atl. i've seen locals do better in nyc and dc than atl.  it has been weird, don't know if it has to do with the economy or not.

Someone was asking about placement: mostly in atl, then nyc, then dc, a little bit in texas, california, chicago ( http://www.law.emory.edu/career-services/prospective-students/employment-report.html )

Blair180

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2008, 02:52:12 PM »
What are the scholarship cutoffs?

It's going to change every year, and the GPA/LSAT scores are most likely going to go up a little every year.

Last year, with only a very few exceptions, it went:

165-166, 3.5-3.75 = $90k
165-166, 3.75+    = $96k
167+, >3.5        = $75k
167=, <3.5        = Accept
165-166, <3.5     = Accept
>164              = Reject
This doesn't count URMs.  Things are more volatile for them and soft factors seem to be more important.  I think there's a few people that got in with 155 and a good GPA, but I'd say you need a 159 to be pretty confident.  Most URMs got a $54k scholarship.

And yeah, some of that seems a little counter-intuitive.  They obviously played the "boost our medians" game, although I'm not sure how much of an effect this had on our 25-75 rankings.  Also, before someone asks, I don't know much about this year's numbers other than that our median GPA is about 3.55 and LSAT is "92%" (my LSAT was 166 and I was 93%, FWIW).

My LSAT is 160, GPA is 3.9 and tons of leadership but boring life experience. Should I not even waste application fee applying to Emory?  :'(
GPA: 3.88 LSAT: 160