Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ever had this problem? Please Read and See!  (Read 3208 times)

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ever had this problem? Please Read and See!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 09:12:22 PM »
What, Cliff, you don't occasionally gloss over key points of a stimulus in the middle of a test?
No. That would be pretty stupid to do on game day.  Almost as stupid as looking around for butterflies in the air over the field when you are the quarterback in the Superbowl and your team is down by 3 and it's 4th down and 1 yard to go after the 2 minute warning in the 4th quarter with the play clock ticking. 

Cliff, it DOES happen to some people. Others, like me, probably wouldnt appreciate calling this issue "stupid." I'm going to please ask you to refrain from posting in my thread again.

Thanks.

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 10:37:11 PM »
What, Cliff, you don't occasionally gloss over key points of a stimulus in the middle of a test?
No. That would be pretty stupid to do on game day.  Almost as stupid as looking around for butterflies in the air over the field when you are the quarterback in the Superbowl and your team is down by 3 and it's 4th down and 1 yard to go after the 2 minute warning in the 4th quarter with the play clock ticking. 

Cliff, it DOES happen to some people. Others, like me, probably wouldnt appreciate calling this issue "stupid." I'm going to please ask you to refrain from posting in my thread again.

Thanks.
Yes, it does happen to some people, just not to the people that achieve high scores. I did not call the issue stupid.  I believe I addressed a question of yours and the response of another person rather well. You may benefit by re-reading the correspondence in the thread carefully, especially your OP.
If you have an issue reading, focusing, concentrating, and comprehending text under pressure you certainly need to get to the bottom of that right away in order to pursue LS and beyond.  If you are going to pose serious questions and serious issues on a publicly available anonymous discussion board looking for advice from strangers you should not expect to only get sugar coated YOU CAN DO IT EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE responses. 
And NO you do not own the thread and I will not be censored and hold back my opinions.  If you do not like the information discard or ignore it or don't ask questions.  You are in charge of you and your decisions.
Sorry that reality is sometimes harsh. Get used to it and cherish the good moments.
Good Luck working out your issue.

I wont get into a debate with you on this thread- I want to stay on-topic so we'll agree to disagree. Thanks anyway.

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 12:10:33 PM »

Thanks.
Yes, it does happen to some people, just not to the people that achieve high scores. I did not call the issue stupid.  I believe I addressed a question of yours and the response of another person rather well. You may benefit by re-reading the correspondence in the thread carefully, especially your OP.
If you have an issue reading, focusing, concentrating, and comprehending text under pressure you certainly need to get to the bottom of that right away in order to pursue LS and beyond.  If you are going to pose serious questions and serious issues on a publicly available anonymous discussion board looking for advice from strangers you should not expect to only get sugar coated YOU CAN DO IT EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE responses. 
And NO you do not own the thread and I will not be censored and hold back my opinions.  If you do not like the information discard or ignore it or don't ask questions.  You are in charge of you and your decisions.
Sorry that reality is sometimes harsh. Get used to it and cherish the good moments.

I wont get into a debate with you on this thread- I want to stay on-topic so we'll agree to disagree. Thanks anyway.
I'm not debating with you and am on-topic.
To refresh your memory this is what you posted:

For some odd reason, this happens to me at home, during the prep course I took, AND sadly on the October administration, when I get to the LR section, my eyes begin to GLAZE over the words and while I am technically reading the words that's all I am really reading- WORDS AND LETTERS.

I cant, no matter how hard I try, read for comprehension. It was something out of a nightmare. Many friends say they feel the same thing sometimes but yet they can complete the exam I cant. In the middle of it, I felt myself fighting but no matter what I did to regroup it wouldnt work- my eyes were just reading words and not meaning.

Im really scared this will happen again.

Im open to seeing a doctor about it but Im not sure if it's just nerves since it does happen at home. I recently oredered the LSAT proctor dvd to see if it's just not being used to the environment and stresses that come along with it but I wanted to reach out to LSD and see if anyone has any experience with this problem?

Thank you guys.

From what you described you have some sort of issue that paralyzes your mind and brought up the option of seeing a doctor about it.  I again suggest you do that.  You will not score well or stand much of a chance in LS and beyond if what you described is true and not handled.  Maybe it is extreme anxiety, maybe it is social phobia, maybe it is panic attacks, who knows.  A qualified doctor would help you with that stuff. 

If you are just a flame or being overly dramatic then none of this matters, but you described having a very serious issue. 

No Im not flaming. I actually never understood why people do that- it's seriously a waste of time and an easy way for people to hate you. My issue is very serious and I appreciate your thoughtful response here Cliff.

I dont think I have a medical problem although I did leave open the possibility because I was so worried that I wanted to leave all options on the table. I did VERY well in college- I graduated 2nd out of 1,000+ people at a good school. Im not saying that to show off or anything, we all have burdens to bare and this is one of my mine right now (can't concentrate). I think it's EXTREME anxiety and you might be right. Im hoping that's what it is.

Since the exam I have taken time off from the books to put things into perspective- it's just an exam and you HAVE to complete the exam and get a score. If I calm down I know I can do much better. Thanks again.

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 02:54:31 PM »

Thanks.

I'm not debating with you and am on-topic.
To refresh your memory this is what you posted:

For some odd reason, this happens to me at home, during the prep course I took, AND sadly on the October administration, when I get to the LR section, my eyes begin to GLAZE over the words and while I am technically reading the words that's all I am really reading- WORDS AND LETTERS.

I cant, no matter how hard I try, read for comprehension. It was something out of a nightmare. Many friends say they feel the same thing sometimes but yet they can complete the exam I cant. In the middle of it, I felt myself fighting but no matter what I did to regroup it wouldnt work- my eyes were just reading words and not meaning.

Im really scared this will happen again.

Im open to seeing a doctor about it but Im not sure if it's just nerves since it does happen at home. I recently oredered the LSAT proctor dvd to see if it's just not being used to the environment and stresses that come along with it but I wanted to reach out to LSD and see if anyone has any experience with this problem?

Thank you guys.

From what you described you have some sort of issue that paralyzes your mind and brought up the option of seeing a doctor about it.  I again suggest you do that.  You will not score well or stand much of a chance in LS and beyond if what you described is true and not handled.  Maybe it is extreme anxiety, maybe it is social phobia, maybe it is panic attacks, who knows.  A qualified doctor would help you with that stuff. 

If you are just a flame or being overly dramatic then none of this matters, but you described having a very serious issue. 

No Im not flaming. I actually never understood why people do that- it's seriously a waste of time and an easy way for people to hate you. My issue is very serious and I appreciate your thoughtful response here Cliff.

I dont think I have a medical problem although I did leave open the possibility because I was so worried that I wanted to leave all options on the table. I did VERY well in college- I graduated 2nd out of 1,000+ people at a good school. Im not saying that to show off or anything, we all have burdens to bare and this is one of my mine right now (can't concentrate). I think it's EXTREME anxiety and you might be right. Im hoping that's what it is.

Since the exam I have taken time off from the books to put things into perspective- it's just an exam and you HAVE to complete the exam and get a score. If I calm down I know I can do much better. Thanks again.

Hey hopeful,
Glad we came around on this.   :)
There is a LOT of anxiety going around right now.  Just watching the news about the global economic free fall has been freaking me out. 

I'll try to play amateur Dr. for a second.  I'll guess that you are a type A personality and your mind is very active. You may have trouble falling asleep because once you lay down your mind starts going over everything and you even think about things going on in your sleep. You may be tossing and turning in bed while you sleep trying to feel comfortable and wake up numerous times during the night.  You may pay attention to everything around you all the time and get bored and distracted easily and seek constant stimulation but then sometimes get overwhelmed by it all.
Any of this ring a bell?  If so, welcome to the club. 

Cliff, I think you just literally stated who I am! I got the chills there haha. WOW man. So I guess we have some similarities here on this.. and if you can do fine with them I should be able to also. Im really trying to just practice relaxing and not be so stressed/nervous about this. Although hard to do I think Im making some progress.

I really thank you for your last couple of posts, especially this one, sometimes it just helps to know youre not the only one.

rbamp

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 03:04:18 PM »
You are being overly dramatic which makes me think that this is a flame.  But in case it's not...

It is extremely common for people to be reading and have to go back and reread because they weren't really processing it.  Everyone does that at some point to some degree.  The LSAT is obviously trying to test your ability to read dense, complicated material for long periods of time and concentrate on it.  Those who are better at it will do better.  The best way to get better at reading is to practice reading.  Take some time every day to read some difficult material for an extended period of time.

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 04:34:47 PM »
Maybe if some people think "this is flame" then that might be a positive thing? Maybe I can overcome this problem since it's so trivial. Rbamp, thanks for your post but I didnt feel I was being dramatic- Many of us on here have vested ourselves into this exam and for me to completely deconstruct and meltdown in the middle of it made me really upset.

My Dad did suggest reading the newspaper, perhaps the more dense parts like the business section or something, to get used to reading boring stuff. I might do that but right now Im applying the LSAT Proctor DVD and staying calm to help me.

amise

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 04:51:35 PM »
I too used to have this problem.  Reading dense sections of the newspaper could be helpful. Taking some boring philosophy classes has actually helped me with my focus during reading, so I'd also recommend picking up a philosophy book that sounds terribly confusing and boring and challenge yourself to read sections of it and stay focused. This horrible metaphysics class I am taking helped my RC greatly (at least I think so...we'll see if my LSAT score agrees).

I Will Get Over 170

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 12:37:36 AM »
I didn't think this was worth posting an entirely new thread about, so I'll add it here...

Is it normal, after taking the test (as I did on Saturday) to COMPLETELY not remember applying a rule in a game?  Like, people were talking about this one rule from one of the games on the test, and it seriously doesn't sound at all familiar to me (even though I know it's from one of the non-experimental games).  I've never overlooked a rule, so it would be very odd of me to have done so on the real thing.. But the thought of it is really terrifying me.  Is it normal have this kind of amnesia (which persists even when other people mention something)?  Am I just going crazy?

rbamp

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 05:46:27 PM »
Here's what I did:

From time to time I would sit down and read The Economist from cover to cover.  I found many of the articles to be sufficiently boring, since I'm generally so unfamiliar with local politics in foreign countries.  But here's the twist - I would get somebody to take painter's tape and tape over ALL of the titles for all of the articles, so I'd start reading an article not having any idea what it was about.  I found that it simulates RC material pretty well for 3 reasons; 1. The articles are about the same length, sometimes a little longer  2. The author is opinionated but the opinions are subtle and mixed in with loads of detailed factual information and 3. Unlike typical news articles, it often takes a few paragraphs, or even the entire passage, to get what the main point of the passage is.

It was great reading practice for me.

redcement

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 09:44:42 AM »
many on this thread seem in need of fiber.