Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to explain a 3.2 GPA in an addendum?  (Read 1161 times)

kennedyposter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
How to explain a 3.2 GPA in an addendum?
« on: October 07, 2008, 12:50:27 AM »
Ok folks. I screwed around my freshman/soph years. A lot. Luckily I was never disciplined or arrested or anything severe like that but I did have a habit of not going to class or doing anything useful. Lots of C's and a D+ in logic of all things which I'm afraid is going to really kill me for adcomms(hopefully my LSAT score will redeem it?) Luckily junior year I rekindled my love for school for reasons including classes I was taking and a dose of maturity. I finished first semester with a 3.85 and second with a 3.97 (stupid A-). Further, it's looking good for all A's again this semester although I would like to get my apps out by thanksgiving so I guess that doesn't matter. Anyways, how can I explain this in an addendum? Should I be honest and say I have no good reason that I performed so poorly my first two years? Should I address it at all? Help a sister out! And be kind. I realize it's my own fault and I'm not trying to get into Harvard, Yale, or the like. I would be thrilled to just go to Pace or Vermont or even Ole Miss and get some nifty in state tuition. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How to explain a 3.2 GPA in an addendum?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 01:05:56 AM »
Ok folks. I screwed around my freshman/soph years. A lot. Luckily I was never disciplined or arrested or anything severe like that but I did have a habit of not going to class or doing anything useful. Lots of C's and a D+ in logic of all things which I'm afraid is going to really kill me for adcomms(hopefully my LSAT score will redeem it?) Luckily junior year I rekindled my love for school for reasons including classes I was taking and a dose of maturity. I finished first semester with a 3.85 and second with a 3.97 (stupid A-). Further, it's looking good for all A's again this semester although I would like to get my apps out by thanksgiving so I guess that doesn't matter. Anyways, how can I explain this in an addendum? Should I be honest and say I have no good reason that I performed so poorly my first two years? Should I address it at all? Help a sister out! And be kind. I realize it's my own fault and I'm not trying to get into Harvard, Yale, or the like. I would be thrilled to just go to Pace or Vermont or even Ole Miss and get some nifty in state tuition. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have an answer for you, but I was always under the impression that an addendum in a case like this isn't necessary.  If you have an upward grade trend, like you do, the trend itself is explanatory enough.

rush the rushdie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How to explain a 3.2 GPA in an addendum?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 12:59:56 PM »
yes, the upward gpa trend will be obvious, it won't hurt you to include a brief (keyword: brief) addendum, saying what you've said here, just to let the adcomm know that you're taking this seriously.  And, i feel you on Logic.  i had to take it for my philosophy major -- effing hard. the necessary/sufficient and contrapositive material u see on the LSAT is baby stuff compared to derivatives and quantifiers, etc.