Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UChicago 3L taking ?s  (Read 2349 times)

Oeste Lado

• View Profile
Re: UChicago 3L taking ?s
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 09:22:45 PM »
bump

gossard267

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 10:02:29 PM »
Thanks for the answers to my earlier questions.

I notice that Chicago seems to take the Socratic approach much more seriously as a learning method than other schools, at least based on their website.  Would you say that this is born out in the classroom, or merely an odd bit of marketing?  I ask because I chose my undergrad school almost entirely because their program was nearly 100% Socratic/discussion based in nature.   I don't expect law school to be quite like that, but it would be nice to see an approach to learning that I personally enjoy being treated as something more than a half-hearted gimmick designed to scare 1L's.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 10:19:12 PM »

I notice that Chicago seems to take the Socratic approach much more seriously as a learning method than other schools, at least based on their website.  Would you say that this is born out in the classroom, or merely an odd bit of marketing?  I ask because I chose my undergrad school almost entirely because their program was nearly 100% Socratic/discussion based in nature.   I don't expect law school to be quite like that, but it would be nice to see an approach to learning that I personally enjoy being treated as something more than a half-hearted gimmick designed to scare 1L's.

i don't really think that we take it more seriously than other schools. i do think that your 1L year, you're thrown in with epstein, levmore, eric posner, etc. so in many cases you're subjected to "real socratic" faster than other schools.

in terms of socratic, most professors are very gentle. i somehow ended up doing socratic in all of my 1L classes the first week and i always felt dumb. the bottom line is that professors usually use it as a tool to a) be sure you'd done the reading, or b) to try to make you think in a new and weird manner.

basically, i've always been in a class where someone hasn't done the reading and has to tell the professor ahead of time. once, it was me and it was slightly embarassing. the worst that happens is that the professor gives you a 30 second lecture on emailing him ahead of time. and every professor ends up having to do this once a quarter, so it's not as bad as it sounds. no professor will make you work if you haven't done the reading, but the next class, if you're prepared to be called on, he may call on you. just show you've done that day's reading and you're fine.

Oeste Lado

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 10:42:51 PM »

i wouldn't call it a gimmick.  all my profs did socratic, and they were serious about it.  to be honest, i'm not sure how socratic goes at other schools for 1Ls so i dont want to go as far as clairl and say we aren't more serious than other schools. 

i have heard from my friends at other schools that socratic essentially ends after 1L.  that's not the case at chicago.  unless you're taking a class with a practitioner or with one of the few profs known for straight lecture, you're still going to get socratic.  it also seems less intense after the 1st year...but that probably has to do with the fact that you're used to it.

to be fair, as much as socratic can be scary at times, i've discovered that i absolutely hate classes that don't have it.  i need some pressure to keep up with the reading, or to not zone out.  and, oh yeah, it's good for learning.  being able to think quickly on your feet is something people should, in my opinion, be interested in perfecting.

if you aren't prepared, the profs certainly don't appreciate it, but they're not going to bust your balls about it.  i'm not sure if i'd call it "very gentle" but its certainly not the paper chase.  they really do make an effort to push you to think about the law deeply and critically.  but, like i said, this should be a plus in our column.

Oeste Lado

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 10:30:19 PM »
Leiter has posted a new blog about elite firm placement.  chicago is #2.

http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2008job_biglaw.shtml

as an aside, if Leiter included latham instead of jones day in the rankings we could possibly be #1.  as a proxy, this summer we had 12 people summer at latham.  only 4 chose jones day.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 01:21:51 AM »
Leiter has posted a new blog about elite firm placement.  chicago is #2.

http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2008job_biglaw.shtml

as an aside, if Leiter included latham instead of jones day in the rankings we could possibly be #1.  as a proxy, this summer we had 12 people summer at latham.  only 4 chose jones day.

This study makes me feel pretty good about my employment prospects.

Refused Party Program

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 05:51:57 PM »

to be fair, as much as socratic can be scary at times, i've discovered that i absolutely hate classes that don't have it.  i need some pressure to keep up with the reading, or to not zone out.  and, oh yeah, it's good for learning.  being able to think quickly on your feet is something people should, in my opinion, be interested in perfecting.

While I don't go to Chicago, I will say that I 100% agree with this statement. The good thing about socratic is that it can really help you think about things a little differently. You will find after your first year that straight lecture classes can really but you to sleep.

Oeste Lado

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 09:04:34 AM »
bump

Oeste Lado

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 09:19:11 AM »
bump

1. are you also avoiding studying for finals?

2. plans for next year

1. no exams for me!  haha, love being a 3L.

2. study for bar, take bar, bar trip, start working at v5 in NYC

Oeste Lado

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 10:19:52 AM »
1. no exams for me!  haha, love being a 3L.

2. study for bar, take bar, bar trip, start working at v5 in NYC

1. SOME 3L's have finals.  >:(  you suck.

2. nice.  market-rate v5?  over/under?  probably more info than you care to divulge.

1. path of least resistance my friend, path of least resistance.  i think next quarter i'll have 1 exam.  sad times.

2. you're right: more info than I want to divulge.