Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Resume, Addendum, or both?  (Read 652 times)

broach911

• View Profile
    • Email
Resume, Addendum, or both?
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:53:24 PM »
One issue which I would like to address in my applications is that up until recently I was responsible for taking care of my grandmother. It was a very time consuming period and not only did my grades in College suffer a bit (nothing major but I went from having A's Bs, and 2 Cs, to straight As), but I was unable to work. I feel this is important to address since job experience is a qualification most schools look for. My question is should I address this within the resume and place this as an experience? Should I write an addendum explaining what happened, what I did, and why I couldn't work? Or should I do both, chalk it up to experience in my resume and also write an addendum detailing my experience? I'm leaning more to just writing it in the addendum and talk about it further in my personal statement, but I would really like to hear other's thoughts on the matter.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Resume, Addendum, or both?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 12:33:24 PM »
Definitely addendum. 
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

broach911

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 07:20:53 PM »
Yeah I figured I should write an addendum, but should I also note in on my resume under Experience? My concern is that Law Schools will look at my resume, see that it is lacking and not really focus on the addendum. Also, if I talk about this in my personal statement should I still include an addendum?

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 07:38:56 PM »
it might send the wrong message if you include it under experience in your resume. just write an addendum, your excuse for your grades and lack of work experience is legitimate. play up other aspects of your resume to make up for your lack of work experience. you might want to check out Anna Ivey's book, she has some good suggestions for resumes.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 07:40:24 PM »
I don't think that's appropriate for a resume
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

sethg485

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 08:50:51 PM »
Your personal statement should be used to articulate your strengths. The situation you have described is best suited in an addendum.