Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Did you ask your professors for a LOR via email or in person?  (Read 1922 times)

thegooch

• View Profile
Did you ask your professors for a LOR via email or in person?
« on: October 06, 2008, 09:47:44 PM »
well, I am definitely going to ask one professor in person as I'm 100% sure he would write me a LOR, but I'm not too sure about the other person. Would sending them an email be appropriate?

I'm still in college btw.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: Did you ask your professors for a LOR via email or in person?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
If you're still there, you should ask in person.  Don't put off someone you're asking a favor from.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Legally Brown "Sugah"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 11:29:29 PM »
This may go against the norm, but I asked all three of my recommenders for LORs via email.  They all know me fairly well, one is the director of my major who has also taught two of my classes.  The other two are professors who have taught at least two of my courses as well.  I have not seen the two professors for a few months and offered to send them a package with the LOR form, my resume and copies of work that I completed in their class.  One of them didn't even need the information and forwarded the recommendation to me to read and fax with the cover letter on my own.  The other professor did request the info but still said that he would be glad to write one for me.  I see the director of my major often, but I initially asked her via email.  I did stop by her office afterwards since I normally see her whenever I go to class.  I believe it will depend on how close you are to the people that you are asking.  The package that I did send out was very professional, and so were the emails, even though one of my professors is very cool and doesn't require a lot of formality.  Only you know what kind of relationship you have with the people that you are going to ask and you should go from there.  I have gotten two really strong letters from email requests and I'm sure the third one will be just as good.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 11:43:55 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I asked for mine by email too.  But it was because I lived 600 miles away from my college after I graduated.  I think you can ask by email, and it won't be a problem, but I think if you're there and asking someone for a favor, it's nice if you at least stop in and ask them in person.  Not necessary, but you are asking someone to go the extra mile for you.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Legally Brown "Sugah"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 01:12:43 AM »
I forgot to mention that I work full time and attend school in the evenings full time.  I'm not normally on campus until about 15 min before classes start and I go home after they're over.  By the time my classes end (sometimes before they even start) administrative offices are closed.  I did walk in to see the director of my program and to give her the LOR form, but this was after I had asked her via email and she just happened to be in her office when I got to campus (I was going to leave it in her mailbox).

The other two professors are not on campus when I am.  It depends on your situation.  Hope this helps.  But as others have said, if you're a traditional student who is on campus, you should be able to pop in and ask.  It actually may seem weird if you have no other reason not to ask in person.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 02:24:57 AM »
If you don't know your professors well (like speak to them regularly, they know you, etc.) I would ask in person. Or if you live very far away. Or if you ask over the summer or some other break when they might not be in their office. Other than those circumstances, I would ask in person.

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 02:33:18 AM »
well, I am definitely going to ask one professor in person as I'm 100% sure he would write me a LOR, but I'm not too sure about the other person. Would sending them an email be appropriate?

I'm still in college btw.

Just ask in person. If you're not 100% sure about the second LOR, your professor should tell you if (s)he is unable to write you good recommendation. I just went up to my professors and asked, then they said yes, and I asked if we could meet to further discuss the LOR during office hours or some other time. I don't think E-mail is appropriate unless it's difficult for you to reach them in person.

sethg485

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 07:52:53 PM »
It's always better to ask in person. Make sure you provide them with information such as your PS and Resume.