Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So i dropped out of graduate school  (Read 507 times)

genericgrad

• View Profile
So i dropped out of graduate school
« on: October 06, 2008, 09:10:18 PM »
I am wondering how I should address the fact that I left my PhD program after one year. Should I write about it in my PS or use an addendum?

I left because I didn't want to pursue a career in academia, and that is pretty much all one could do with a degree in my field. I had a high GPA and received strong LOR from my adviser and the department chair.

I just don't want Law Schools to get the impression that because I dropped out of program X I may do the same at program Y.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: So i dropped out of graduate school
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 09:13:45 PM »
Put it in an addendum, and give specific reasons why you dropped out and why law school is different.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 07:12:28 AM »
I did the same thing for the same reason, and I don't think it impacted my law school admissions.  I didn't write an addendum, but I was in the workforce for several years after that, including positions that I held for two or three years, so it showed that I could actually stick to something.

Michigan Law Class of 2010

genericgrad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 04:29:59 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice. It seems like the best way to approach this is just to be upfront and frank and not make it into more than it is.