Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Is the summer associate market really bad or is this all in our heads?

I have at least one offer
 54 (72%)
I go to a T14 and have no offers
 4 (5.3%)
I have no offers
 17 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: ...  (Read 7124 times)

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How's the job search going?
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 06:58:56 PM »
From what I hear, a lot of the firms are playing the 45 day window a light tighter this year.

What do you think this means in practice?

There are crazy rumors of firms doing odd things around my school, some of them are confirmed. (A large firm making no offers to their summer class, firms giving people offers in practice areas that are unappealing in the hopes people don't take the offer, etc.)

As for me job search wise, I have two offers out of two callbacks and 15 or so screening interviews so far. I'm not interested in primary markets like NYC, DC, etc. though.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm at a top 25 with average grades and a secondary journal.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 08:18:33 PM »
Zam,

For some reason the hiring process got screwed up last year.  Most firms extended the same number of offers as usual but had a higher number of people accept.  This came right before the economy got hit pretty bad.  As a result, the firms had more people summering for them than already needed and needed less people than typical.  A good number of large firms no offered people this past summer (most firms that I know of that did this no offered about 10% of their summer classes in major markets and more in smaller markets). 

I think firms learned their lessons.  The market is tight this year with the economy, so they are more likely to have people accept offers as people are less likely to get offers.  In my opinion this means that there will probably be two rounds of offers this year.  I know the first round was immediately after OCI callbacks started and the second round should be soon. I have friends that are hitting their 45 day deadlines this next week, so people should be releasing offers soon.  I would think this would mean that firms would start extending offers in two to three weeks to try to fill the rest of their classes.

Oh, and most firms dont give people offers into a specific practice area (at least from my experience and that of my friends).  They give offers to join the firm then tell you about your practice area closer to your start date when they know the need.  So, that story is probably not too accurate, although it wouldnt surprise me.  Ive heard of firms giving people offers in office they know they wont accept.  Honestly though, if you start work and they dont want you to accept, be extremely thankful they at least gave you some offer.  It is very difficult to get a job your third year with a no-offer out there.

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 08:44:11 PM »
Zam,

For some reason the hiring process got screwed up last year.  Most firms extended the same number of offers as usual but had a higher number of people accept.  This came right before the economy got hit pretty bad.  As a result, the firms had more people summering for them than already needed and needed less people than typical.  A good number of large firms no offered people this past summer (most firms that I know of that did this no offered about 10% of their summer classes in major markets and more in smaller markets). 

I think firms learned their lessons.  The market is tight this year with the economy, so they are more likely to have people accept offers as people are less likely to get offers.  In my opinion this means that there will probably be two rounds of offers this year.  I know the first round was immediately after OCI callbacks started and the second round should be soon. I have friends that are hitting their 45 day deadlines this next week, so people should be releasing offers soon.  I would think this would mean that firms would start extending offers in two to three weeks to try to fill the rest of their classes.

Oh, and most firms dont give people offers into a specific practice area (at least from my experience and that of my friends).  They give offers to join the firm then tell you about your practice area closer to your start date when they know the need.  So, that story is probably not too accurate, although it wouldnt surprise me.  Ive heard of firms giving people offers in office they know they wont accept.  Honestly though, if you start work and they dont want you to accept, be extremely thankful they at least gave you some offer.  It is very difficult to get a job your third year with a no-offer out there.

Hmm, interesting, pretty much right in line with what I've seen.

The specific practice area anecdote is credited, though I should have been more specific. She is a 2008 grad who found out after taking the bar that her offer is for their tax group.

I like tax, but it's not her cup of tea at all.

EDIT: I'm very happy and grateful for the offers I have, but I am honestly avoiding telling some of my friends because I know that they are struggling and waiting for some kind of response on their callbacks.

It's definitely a rough year.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 08:49:45 PM »
hmm... yea, i had a friend (at the firm I worked at) who had that happen.  He found out after the bar he would be in a group he hated.  It is kinda risky.  Im going to a firm with a heavy focus in the group I want to be in though so I dont have to worry about that.

Yea, it is a mixed feeling 2L year.  You are happy and want to celebrate but cant because of your friends. I know the feeling.  congrats though! 

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 09:14:15 AM »
I feel like the first half of recruiting season was easier, and the second half has slowed down.  I am wishing I had scheduled a couple of my later callbacks earlier, and vice versa.

But overall, nothing to complain about.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

nemo11

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 11:05:21 PM »
T-25 transfer to T-10 (top 15%); 24 screening interviews; 15 callbacks (mostly V20); 8 attended; 7 offers; 1 cancelled.  Accepted at V10.

daylighthasbroken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 12:36:42 AM »
T10, decent grades (def in the top half, where above that I have no idea), secondary journal: 10 DC callbacks, 5 offers, 3 rejects, 2 outstanding at this point.  I'm about to call and say "it's not you, it's me" to a few of the firms I have offers at.

daylighthasbroken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 12:50:22 AM »
Are people at your school slightly unnerved by that whole offer rescinded thing or has ATL blown it out of proportion?

Some people are freaking out.  Most aren't, with the thought that any firm that would do that is a firm you might not really want to work at anyways...I'm sort of in that school.  That being said, I am working to actually finalize my decision so the summer job drama will end.

daylighthasbroken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 12:57:04 AM »
Are people at your school slightly unnerved by that whole offer rescinded thing or has ATL blown it out of proportion?

Some people are freaking out.  Most aren't, with the thought that any firm that would do that is a firm you might not really want to work at anyways...I'm sort of in that school.  That being said, I am working to actually finalize my decision so the summer job drama will end.

It's tough to actually make a decision.  So many alternate doors you need to close off.  Well best of luck to you.

Thanks.  Same to you (unless you've already decided, in which case oongrats)

daylighthasbroken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 01:03:40 AM »

It's not really applicable to me, but thanks anyway.  ;)

oh, ok. 3L?