Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Did your professors ask for any documents when you asked them to write you a LOR  (Read 1205 times)

thegooch

• View Profile
like a PS, transcript or LSAT scores?

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Yes. I knew my LOR writers very well, but they still wanted at least a PS and some background info (why law, which schools I was applying to, etc.) I gave them a very, very rough PS, a resume, a copy of my transcript, and a letter outlining which schools I was applying to and why.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
My professors wanted a personal statement and resume and a little background info.  An attorney I worked for let me write my own and he edited it for what he thought would work best for getting me in.  Then he gave it back to me and it was awesome and so I sent it in.  I think recommenders really need some background info to write a good letter though. 

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I go to a Canadian university so I think, in general, it's probably a bit less intensive in terms of what documents they expect, etc. etc. But I gave all my recommenders a copy of my transcript, a rough copy of my CV, any other details about other grad programs I was applying to, I photocopied a bullet point list from Montauk's book with a general overview of good LOR stuff, and I explained them in person why I was applying to the programs I was.

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Mine wanted my resume and transcript. One asked me for a brief list of particular things I would like her to include in the letter. I gave my French professor some papers I had done in her class. The more info you give them, the more options they have for your letter.

thegooch

• View Profile
see the problem is I'm worried if they would ask me for my full transcripts. During the first two years in college I did pretty bad, but now there's a huge upward trend in my grades for these last two years.

Although both professors know me pretty well, got A's in their classes, participated a lot, I don't feel too comfortable to give them my PS. It's pretty personal.

hopefully they don't ask for them lol

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
just say you haven't done it yet, but would be happy to give them some other kind of short statement, if they want to know more about your interest in the law/your goals.