Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fee Waiver Question  (Read 725 times)

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Fee Waiver Question
« on: October 06, 2008, 12:56:11 PM »
I am not sure that this is the correct place to post this question, and I searched and could not really find an appropriate answer...so does anyone have advice on the proper way to ask a certain school for a fee waiver. For example: got an email inviting me to apply, no fee waiver :( is there a polite way to email back and say that I am very interested in applying however, I would request a fee waiver to do so?

logickills

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Fee Waiver Question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:59:06 PM »
i think it makes you look bad asking for a fee waiver.  if a school doesn't offer you one, i'd just pay up.  sometimes they have a form online for need-based waivers, so maybe you could look into that.  maybe even email asking them if they have any method for requesting a need-based waiver.  but i think requesting a merit waiver is always going to be in poor taste no matter how you word it.
accepted: duke, georgetown, fordham $$, umich $$, nyu!, uchicago, uva, gw
pending: berkeley (rejected), yale (rejected), stanford, harvard, columbia (WL), upenn (WL)
lsn: logickills

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 06:34:41 PM »
I don't think it makes you look bad at all. I had a legitimate reason, based on need,  and I simply emailed them and explained my situation, and a couple schools gave me one. In the worst, it won't hurt. It's not like they will put a note on your file saying "this cheap SOB didn't want to pay the application fee. @#!* him/her. Chance of acceptance: nada." PM me if you want to know what schools didn't need documentation.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 06:41:12 PM »
I think asking out of need is more acceptable than saying, "hi, this is my GPA and my LSAT score, can I apply for free?"  But yeah, I've asked for financial fee waivers, and I think that's perfectly acceptable.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 06:47:09 PM »
I think asking out of need is more acceptable than saying, "hi, this is my GPA and my LSAT score, can I apply for free?"  But yeah, I've asked for financial fee waivers, and I think that's perfectly acceptable.

It is out of need. I was just wondering how exactly I should go about it.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 06:49:52 PM »
Ah, I just emailed and said here's my my financial situation, what is the procedure for getting a fee waiver?  Some said, here download and fill out this forms, and some said oh sure no problem, print out this email and send it in.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.