Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Good enough for SMU part time?  (Read 4023 times)

cajunchris

• View Profile
Good enough for SMU part time?
« on: October 06, 2008, 12:55:56 AM »
I have a 3.48 gpa and am currently awaiting my october LSAT score, my question is what kind of score do I need to get to get in to the part time program at SMU? I am going part time because I have a family and am making good money in the oil industry, but this job is not forever.  My point is, I am not just trying to "backdoor" my way into a school.  Are there any SMU law students out there that are in the part time program with any insight? I am also applying for early decision too.

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Good enough for SMU part time?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 07:17:50 PM »
A guy last cycle got into part time with a 158, though he had other things in his background that made him diverse.

A 162 would probably get you in.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 10:42:55 AM »
A guy last cycle got into part time with a 158, though he had other things in his background that made him diverse.

A 162 would probably get you in.

You can get SMU P/T with a much lower score...

cajunchris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 12:02:12 PM »
I have been monitoring the posts on here and some people make it seem like it is easy, especially with early decision, to get in part time. I was under the impression that a 162 would get you into full time.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 12:20:55 PM »
If you look on LSAC you can see that the median part-time LSAT is 158, and the 25% is 152. So, it looks like if you score in the mid 150's it gives you a sold chance.

cajunchris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 01:32:29 PM »
Yeah, I read that, but I guess I just don't know how to interpret those numbers exactly. Those numbers can be hollow or skewed in any way SMU wants to. Thats why I was asking people that attend the school or have recently been accepted. Thanks

OasisFan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 06:04:47 PM »
i'm in a similar boat with a slightly higher GPA (3.66), but my LSAT is probably going to be terrible (grandmother suffered a stroke the day before the test).  I took the test anyways bc i wanted to apply early decision, does anyone have any insight into how much applying early helps to SMU's PT program?  Thanks

OasisFan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 02:01:11 AM »
bump

:: calling all SMU Part-Timers :: any and all info would be appreciated...

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 11:55:48 PM »
I had your same GPA and a 162 LSAT and I applied for full time and part-time.  They let me in part-time with 12,000  a year.  My guess is if you get a 158-160 you should get in, if you're 161-162 you should get some scholarship, if you're 163+ you should get a hefty scholarship for PT.
On a side note it took SMU FOREVER to notify me and I think others had the same problem last year.

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 01:55:08 PM »
in general, are there any glaring disadvantages to applying PT? does SMU still allow you opportunities for summer internships and law review?