Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boston College 1.5L taking questions...  (Read 8842 times)

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Boston College 1L taking questions...
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2008, 04:59:07 PM »
I'm pretty familiar with BC having had a family member go there for undergrad, but admittedly a little unfamiliar with the Newton campus. Does it have it's own gym? What's that like? Any other particularly good/bad features at Newton? What's the closest T stop?

Thanks.

There is no recreational facility on the Newton Campus, as far as I know. There is, of course, one on the main campus. Personally, I really like the Newton campus. I think it has the perfect mix of everything you'd want in a school. It has a really quaint suburban feel, while still having nearby access to the T and shoppes in Newton Centre. Also, there are college freshmen who live on the Newton campus and often eat within the same cafeteria that law students eat. Personally, I like the idea of having college freshmen around because it keeps you sane--i.e. not always around other law students, and reminds you that the law school is part of the greater Boston College. Also, college freshmen are not technically allowed to use the law library, so if you don't like the fact that they're around, you have a quiet place to get away from them. The easiest way to access campus is by car. Other alternatives include: taking the B line to Boston college and then the shuttle to Newton Campus, taking the D line to Newton Centre and then the 52 bus north to the campus, or bicycling, assuming you live within a few miles. One interesting fact about Newton is that it is the safest place in America for its size--there's rarely ever a crime around here.
To whom much is given, much is expected.

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Boston College 1L taking questions...
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2008, 06:41:49 PM »
I'm pretty familiar with BC having had a family member go there for undergrad, but admittedly a little unfamiliar with the Newton campus. Does it have it's own gym? What's that like? Any other particularly good/bad features at Newton? What's the closest T stop?

Thanks.

There is no recreational facility on the Newton Campus, as far as I know.

Wrong -- Quonset Hut.  It's not open much, though, so most people just go to the UG gym.
At least I can f-ing think.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Boston College 1.5L taking questions...
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2008, 07:37:42 PM »
Never heard of this gym. On the other hand, I know every inch and corner of the law library... get the picture?

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2008, 07:39:36 PM »
You're a paragon of health?  :P

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2008, 07:46:57 PM »
I was thinking more along lines of having no time for anything but studying... but that, too.

Maybe I should've played softball for our section. not.

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2008, 08:18:08 PM »
I mean, I haven't gone to the gym in a couple (erm, few?) weeks, but for the whole semester?  REALLY?  Literally NOTHING but study?  You're not doing a good job of selling this place.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2008, 06:56:56 PM »
I find more time-efficient means of exercising. But law school, wherever you go is pretty much equally as time demanding. It's like an ABA requirement: torture 1Ls.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2008, 07:00:17 PM »
Eh.  I don't think that my school is that time-demanding at all, and I'm easily in the top quarter in terms of work ethic, IMO.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2008, 11:12:30 PM »
Eh.  I don't think that my school is that time-demanding at all, and I'm easily in the top quarter in terms of work ethic, IMO.

Top quarter of work ethic? Are you a 1L? I feel like all 1Ls universally put in their maximum work ethic--given the simple fact that first year grades are everything. My first-semester experience was extremely time-demanding. There were days when I had to wake up at around 6:30a to do leftover reading, and then other days when I would come home from doing school-related stuff at 9 or 10p.  Friday night and Saturday was really the only time to do non-schoolwork related stuff, but I often used that time to prepare for the next week: shopping, cleaning up, and laundry, etc.  During finals period it was crazier: literally studied the whole time. It was hard to tell the day of the week because I studied all day everyday. I may be somewhat atypical because I was involved with several student groups and had to do a ton of stuff for them, but generally, I've heard many others having similar experiences.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2008, 11:25:01 PM »
I am a 1L, and I dunno -- that sounds like a lot of work.  Your school seems pretty rigorous.  I mean, I just reduced cases to a bunch of holdings and took practice exams.