Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boston College 1.5L taking questions...  (Read 9020 times)

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Boston College 1L taking questions...
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 05:36:57 PM »

I definitely don't live in student housing? And from what I know student housing is unnecessarily expensive, and placements are hard to come by any way. You're better off looking for places to rent in the Newton area. I got an amazing living situation right now, $650/month which includes an entire level of a house with all utilities, wireless internet, and FiOS TV already included in the $650.

Ah, sorry, I remember you asking about grad housing last year and just assumed you ended up living there.  I agree with your assessment but didn't want to say anything in case I offended you . . .

Also, I personally am very glad I don't live in Newton.  I actually relish my commute time -- it clears my head.  But to each his own. 
At least I can f-ing think.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2008, 06:00:09 PM »
Since there is a lot of talk about likelihood of admission on this thread, I'll just point out that BCLS wayyyy overshot the goal for incoming students this year, which will probably mean a significantly smaller incoming 1L class next year.  Usually we go for 270-280, meaning that next year could see a goal of 250-260, or maybe fewer now that the LLM program is up and running.  Not to scare you, though...  ;D

I heard one theory about this involved funding issues. Also, the minority population jumped up (both hard numbers and percentage-wise)...it's got to have something to do with it too.

But I actually don't see how the admissions committee can even control enrollment outcome that much? If the school accepted the same general amount of students as in past year, but a much higher percentage took up the offer, it's pretty much out of the control of the admissions committee. I imagine, they didn't accept any waitlisted students this year unless it was an actual goal to increase the 1L class so drastically 270->300.
To whom much is given, much is expected.

johnnytremain1234

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 10:32:55 PM »
Boston College is a catholic university. Does this show in any way?

It's Jesuit by foundation--and the only substantive meaning of this from my experience is the type of environment it promotes. There are a few professors around with a Jesuit background who sometimes integrate issues of morality in teaching legal principles, which can be a huge asset because it really reminds law students of the higher philosophical underpinnings of morality and law. Also, for being a very highly ranked law school, I find the atmosphere to be incredibly cooperative, as opposed to cutthroat competitiveness that you find at other closely ranked schools. A lot of people find an attraction in a school that can guarantee you THE BEST job opportunities in the legal profession while not putting you through a dog-eat-dog environment during law school. It's pretty unique in that respect. I took a 1L law course (at T12 school) while an undergrad, and can personally attest to the difference in atmosphere. Everything from the way students behave toward each other, to the interpersonal relationships between students and faculty.

Thanks for your response. Boston College is my top choice, but I have little experience with private universities and wanted to make sure there wasn't a crucifix in every classroom and the day started with prayer.  ;)

/sigh

The ultimate shame of the Jesuit institutions...

Some day they will return to the Church...

wingman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2008, 10:39:29 PM »

It's Jesuit by foundation--and the only substantive meaning of this from my experience is the type of environment it promotes. There are a few professors around with a Jesuit background who sometimes integrate issues of morality in teaching legal principles, which can be a huge asset because it really reminds law students of the higher philosophical underpinnings of morality and law. Also, for being a very highly ranked law school, I find the atmosphere to be incredibly cooperative, as opposed to cutthroat competitiveness that you find at other closely ranked schools. A lot of people find an attraction in a school that can guarantee you THE BEST job opportunities in the legal profession while not putting you through a dog-eat-dog environment during law school. It's pretty unique in that respect. I took a 1L law course (at T12 school) while an undergrad, and can personally attest to the difference in atmosphere. Everything from the way students behave toward each other, to the interpersonal relationships between students and faculty.

Thanks for your response. Boston College is my top choice, but I have little experience with private universities and wanted to make sure there wasn't a crucifix in every classroom and the day started with prayer.  ;)

/sigh

???

Sorry, but I want to learn about the law. Not have a religion shoved down my throat. If I wanted that I'd go to BYU.

johnnytremain1234

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 06:38:37 AM »

/sigh

???

Sorry, but I want to learn about the law. Not have a religion shoved down my throat. If I wanted that I'd go to BYU.

The two are not mutually exclusive.  We owe much of the Western legal tradition to the Church's canon law tradition.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 07:54:25 AM »

I'm sure that BC is a very nice place to go to school, but I'm dubious of your claim that top schools are somehow competitive.  They're not.  I have friends at a number of top schools through this website and I go to Chicago, and I haven't heard anyone complain about competition.  It's a myth, IMO.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2008, 11:41:54 PM »
What atmosphere are you talking about?  People are fine.  Nobody is ripping pages out of books.  I think the more likely explanation is that people are self-delusional about their school.  They want to believe very badly that, somehow, their school is special.  Well, I think they're largely the same, and that people at top schools have all the less reason to act competitive.  Michigan, NYU, Chicago, Stanford, BC, Vandy, UCLA . . . I've never heard a student from any of these schools complain about the faculty or the competition; and I know people from all of the aforementioned.

Moreover, Harvard Law is not competitive.  Anywhere where people merely have to get dressed and go to class in order to obtain excellent career prospects is not competitive.

wingman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 12:15:12 AM »
What atmosphere are you talking about?  People are fine.  Nobody is ripping pages out of books.  I think the more likely explanation is that people are self-delusional about their school.  They want to believe very badly that, somehow, their school is special.  Well, I think they're largely the same, and that people at top schools have all the less reason to act competitive.  Michigan, NYU, Chicago, Stanford, BC, Vandy, UCLA . . . I've never heard a student from any of these schools complain about the faculty or the competition; and I know people from all of the aforementioned.

Moreover, Harvard Law is not competitive.  Anywhere where people merely have to get dressed and go to class in order to obtain excellent career prospects is not competitive.

And this part is only true if you don't sleep in pajamas!

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 12:16:42 AM »
Whoooo caaares.

At least I can f-ing think.

snowpeach06

• AOL Instant Messenger - angelcat06
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2008, 11:05:42 PM »
Wow, BC is my top choice law school. In Boston, but, not the same urban campus as BU. I actually have a few questions:

1. What are the specialty fields? I'm thinking I either want to focus on entertainment law, family law or international.
2. What kind of people do you think attend BC. I'm sure a wide variety - but, are there any stereo types that could tell me something about how I would fit in?
3. Now the tricky part. I don't think I'll ever be accepted. I'm in my junior year at Case Western, and overall I only have a 3.0 and a 159 on the LSAT. However, this was mostly due to a bad fist semester. I've had a 3.2-3.4 since that first semester, and am probably going to continue to raise my GPA (I should get at least a 3.6 this semester). Also, Case doesn't give +/-'s, so, I'd probably have a 3.5 were it not for that. Although, I don't know if any school is going to take my word for it that I would have had B+'s if the school offered them. So, I'm guessing that won't help me at all. Is BC good at looking at all of these circumstances, or should I just start looking for another dream school?