Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boston College 1.5L taking questions...  (Read 9046 times)

wingman

• View Profile
Re: Boston College 1L taking questions...
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 12:19:04 PM »
Boston College is a catholic university. Does this show in any way?

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 12:43:13 PM »

It's Jesuit by foundation--and the only substantive meaning of this from my experience is the type of environment it promotes. There are a few professors around with a Jesuit background who sometimes integrate issues of morality in teaching legal principles, which can be a huge asset because it really reminds law students of the higher philosophical underpinnings of morality and law. Also, for being a very highly ranked law school, I find the atmosphere to be incredibly cooperative, as opposed to cutthroat competitiveness that you find at other closely ranked schools. A lot of people find an attraction in a school that can guarantee you THE BEST job opportunities in the legal profession while not putting you through a dog-eat-dog environment during law school. It's pretty unique in that respect. I took a 1L law course (at T12 school) while an undergrad, and can personally attest to the difference in atmosphere. Everything from the way students behave toward each other, to the interpersonal relationships between students and faculty.
To whom much is given, much is expected.

wingman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 12:48:26 PM »

It's Jesuit by foundation--and the only substantive meaning of this from my experience is the type of environment it promotes. There are a few professors around with a Jesuit background who sometimes integrate issues of morality in teaching legal principles, which can be a huge asset because it really reminds law students of the higher philosophical underpinnings of morality and law. Also, for being a very highly ranked law school, I find the atmosphere to be incredibly cooperative, as opposed to cutthroat competitiveness that you find at other closely ranked schools. A lot of people find an attraction in a school that can guarantee you THE BEST job opportunities in the legal profession while not putting you through a dog-eat-dog environment during law school. It's pretty unique in that respect. I took a 1L law course (at T12 school) while an undergrad, and can personally attest to the difference in atmosphere. Everything from the way students behave toward each other, to the interpersonal relationships between students and faculty.

Thanks for your response. Boston College is my top choice, but I have little experience with private universities and wanted to make sure there wasn't a crucifix in every classroom and the day started with prayer.  ;)

augusta

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 03:52:58 PM »
How's housing? For those who come to BC from out of town/state, is it very difficult to find a reasonable place to live (decent, but within student budget)?
3.67/Oct. LSAT

augusta

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 03:59:17 PM »
Also--TLS states that (for BC) applicants will benefit from crafting the PS with BC in mind, rather than sending out the same PS all the other law schools get. Did you all do this? Do you think it may actually be an advantage/would not doing it be a disadvantage?
3.67/Oct. LSAT

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 04:16:25 PM »
How's housing? For those who come to BC from out of town/state, is it very difficult to find a reasonable place to live (decent, but within student budget)?

I think that Penn lives in student housing (?), if that's what you mean.  I hear it's a bit of a rip off because you can get housing in the same are for much less money.

If you're looking to live in non-BC housing, there is a TON of stuff available.  Boston is a college town with a lot of student housing options.  I lived in another expensive East Coast city before I moved here.  I had an easier time looking for housing in Boston from 10 hours away than I did looking for housing in that city when I was already living there. 

Also--TLS states that (for BC) applicants will benefit from crafting the PS with BC in mind, rather than sending out the same PS all the other law schools get. Did you all do this? Do you think it may actually be an advantage/would not doing it be a disadvantage?

If I remember correctly, BC says that they're particularly interested in why you want to go to law school?  Anyway, I sent them the same PS as I did my other schools, and it was not about that at all really (it was about an activity I did in UG).  Obviously, I got in anyway, and my numbers definitely didn't make me a shoe-in candidate.

I think that if you've already written a good personal statement, it's better to send that than to write another one that you might not put as much time into or awkwardly edit it to change the topic for BC. 
At least I can f-ing think.

wingman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 04:35:16 PM »
If you BC folks don't mind sharing, what were your numbers?

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 11:52:54 PM »
If you BC folks don't mind sharing, what were your numbers?

I'll PM if you promise not to tell.
At least I can f-ing think.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »

I definitely don't live in student housing? And from what I know student housing is unnecessarily expensive, and placements are hard to come by any way. You're better off looking for places to rent in the Newton area. I got an amazing living situation right now, $650/month which includes an entire level of a house with all utilities, wireless internet, and FiOS TV already included in the $650. I share the house with another BC Law Student, and another Grad Student. I'm less than two miles from the school, and my neighborhood has plenty of nearby stores and restaurant as well as bus and train connections. I love it. I found the ad on Facebook. But there plenty of other ways to find housing such as by coming up to Boston College for the Grad Housing Fair, by searching Craig's list (which I don't really advocate because it's sketchy), and of course, by applying for Grad Housing through BC.

As for crafting a school specific PS--do that for every school you apply to!!! I don't mean to write an entirely different essay for each school, obviously, just devote a few unique sentences or a paragraph at most, stating why you want to go to that particular law school. It truly will give you a push up.

If you're an URM, write a DS, too!

Looking at our personal numbers will accomplish nothing, in fact it will mislead you. Either we'll have above the median numbers and you'll be misperceived into thinking you have less of a shot, or we'll have below the median numbers and you'll think you have a better shot than you really do. Just look at the median figures and note the trend: 164 LSAT, 3.64 GPA. The trends is that the LSAT median has been a 164 for years, while the GPA has consistently increased. It shows that BC is GPA-heavy. Furthermore, LSAC posts the chart of the numbers of all BC admitted students on the ABA guide. While it may be a year behind, it's still very accurate.
To whom much is given, much is expected.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 02:56:11 PM »
Since there is a lot of talk about likelihood of admission on this thread, I'll just point out that BCLS wayyyy overshot the goal for incoming students this year, which will probably mean a significantly smaller incoming 1L class next year.  Usually we go for 270-280, meaning that next year could see a goal of 250-260, or maybe fewer now that the LLM program is up and running.  Not to scare you, though...  ;D
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...