Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boston College 1.5L taking questions...  (Read 8782 times)

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Boston College 1.5L taking questions...
« on: October 05, 2008, 06:48:55 PM »
Below are the newest statistics for the 2008-2009.

BC LAW Student Body--2008-2009
Total Enrollment................... ............................. ...................800
Male......................... ............................. ............................. .....50%
Female....................... ............................. ............................. ...50%
Students of Color........................ ............................. ..............25%
International................ ............................. ............................. ..2%

Graduates Employed..................... ............................. .............98%
Median Starting Salary Private Sector....................... ..............$135,000

2008 Entering Class
Number of applicants................... ............................. .............6609
Enrolled students..................... ............................. ..................299

Median GPA
25th percentile................... ............................. .......................3.49
75th percentile................... ............................. .......................3.77

Median LSAT
25th percentile................... ............................. ........................162
75th percentile................... ............................. ........................165

Median LSAT ............................. ............................. ................164
Median GPA ............................. ............................. .................3.64

Ranking Tier: 1
US News Ranking: 26th

Applications
Deadline: March 1
Decisions sent on a rolling basis January to May 1
If accepted, many applicants are notified during mid- to late-February, usually before March 1

Early Notification Program
Submit application by November 1
Complete application by November 19
Decisions are mailed on December 12

Note to URM and other disadvantaged applicants
Boston College Law School's applicant allows for you to submit a supplemental diversity statement to discuss issues of your background that may have created special obstacles for you. Question #7

Message me if you have questions.
To whom much is given, much is expected.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Boston College 1L taking questions...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 07:33:43 PM »
*bump

secondsblue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 07:45:18 PM »
how is BC on granting deferrals? Thinking of applying (fingers crossed for LSAT score), but don't want to attend until 2010.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 12:59:32 PM »
I'm admittedly not completely sure how BC Law deals with deferral requests, but I'm inclined to think they are granted on a case-by-case basis, which basically means you'll have to explain why you want to defer your admission. I don't know of any students who deferred, personally, so I can't attest to how the process works or how likely it is to be granted. You should ask the admissions committee if you can be deferred before you even apply, there's is no harm in it.

Why are you applying now rather than during the next cycle if you're sure you don't want to attend law school until 2010?

---
Another case of deferrals is for those who apply early and are "deferred to regular admissions". I should say do NOT assume you will be rejected if you are not accepted during the early admissions process, but are rather "deferred to regular admissions". I would say you have a better chance of getting accepted through a "deferral to regular admissions" after the early process than being "waitlisted" after the regular admissions process. In fact, I applied to BC early but was deferred to regular admission and was accepted (I was accepted early on in the regular decision stage, which seems ironic because I was deferred in the early admission stage. But it was actually because my application wasn't completed by the early notification deadline thanks to my recommenders taking forever to send out my LORs).

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 12:44:17 PM »
How do they already have a median starting salary for the entering class?

Schools just keep trying to game that number more and more.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 08:33:44 PM »

If you look closely, now that I've modified the post, you will see a distinction between BC Law School as a whole for the 2008-2009 year, and the statistics for the entering class. The median salary would, of course, be based on salary quotes from the job positions accepted by the most recently graduating class working in the private sector. Also, I've heard from a 3L here that the economy has gotten so bad that some preliminary job positions have been rescinded--it shouldn't really be much of a problem for current 1L's and prospective 0L's though, assuming the economy gets better not worse within a couple years.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 10:39:34 PM »

If you look closely, now that I've modified the post, you will see a distinction between BC Law School as a whole for the 2008-2009 year, and the statistics for the entering class. The median salary would, of course, be based on salary quotes from the job positions accepted by the most recently graduating class working in the private sector. Also, I've heard from a 3L here that the economy has gotten so bad that some preliminary job positions have been rescinded--it shouldn't really be much of a problem for current 1L's and prospective 0L's though, assuming the economy gets better not worse within a couple years.

I've heard from a few 2Ls and 3Ls at FSU that they are having some problems finding work now as well, whereas a few years ago they all would have had jobs lined up.

I'm really not too worried about the economy personally. If it keeps up this way for another 2-3 years, it will probably be more important to know how to use a rifle/shotgun than how to file a motion to dismiss.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 11:44:15 PM »

I've heard from a few 2Ls and 3Ls at FSU that they are having some problems finding work now as well, whereas a few years ago they all would have had jobs lined up.

I'm really not too worried about the economy personally. If it keeps up this way for another 2-3 years, it will probably be more important to know how to use a rifle/shotgun than how to file a motion to dismiss.

If the economy gets worse in 2-3 years, we can just shift our loan repayments to the U.S. government. If Wall Street businessmen can do it why can't we lawyers?

Love/HateBoston

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 02:57:15 AM »
BC is my top choice. I'm afraid my GPA will hurt my chances. In other words, drank too much early in my college career and didn't care about grades. My overall GPA will be under the lower 25% of accepted GPAs however if the GPA from my most recent semester is closer to the 75% GPA average and I earn a low 160s LSAT, what do you think my chances would be?

If I wasn't admitted right away to BC but was admitted at another Boston area law school, would you suggesting working a year to build my resume or attending a lower tier school and transferring? How popular is transferring in law school in general?

Thank you

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 02:05:20 PM »
BC is my top choice. I'm afraid my GPA will hurt my chances. In other words, drank too much early in my college career and didn't care about grades. My overall GPA will be under the lower 25% of accepted GPAs however if the GPA from my most recent semester is closer to the 75% GPA average and I earn a low 160s LSAT, what do you think my chances would be?

If I wasn't admitted right away to BC but was admitted at another Boston area law school, would you suggesting working a year to build my resume or attending a lower tier school and transferring? How popular is transferring in law school in general?

Thank you

Ok, first don't completely rule out an acceptance. Admissions, to any school, depends on a variety of factors and it's hard to predict which way the admissions committees will decide. With that said, let's create a hypothetical. Say you have a 3.30 GPA and a 162 LSAT score. According to the LSAC GPA/LSAT calculator you have anywhere between about a 7%-14% chance of acceptance to BC. Quite low, but STILL don't rule it out. There are other factors that can push the likelihood of admissions in either direction drastically:

1. Which college is your GPA from? (The higher ranked your college, the more acceptable a lower GPA, in general)
2. How rigorous was your course load? (The more rigorous, the more acceptable a lower GPA)
3. How many people from your college apply to Boston College Law School? (The more people, the more competitive)
4. How does your GPA rank, percentage-wise, against other applicants from your college? (Check your "Academic Summary Report" on LSAC for this figure--the lower your percentage, the lower your chances)
5. Is there a significant upward trend in your GPA in your upperclassmen years? (The larger the scope of an upward trend, the more favorable the admissions committee will view a low GPA)
6. Are you an under-represented minority? (If so, write an essay in response to question #7 and the committee may overlook a shortcoming on your application if they see real potential in you)

As for transferring after your first year. Don't count on it. At all. Only like 6 or so transferees come to BC Law per year. Furthermore, by the time your first year ends, you probably will not even want to transfer. Why? Because if you get a high enough GPA to actually have a shot at transferring, your GPA will also render you first in line at your school for great job offers 2L year--so why transfer from that school? You should know that mostly everyone who transfers to another law school, don't do it merely because the other law is ranked higher, instead they transfer because they want to change the region where they intend to practice law.

Hope this info helps.