Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: engineering degree ?  (Read 446 times)

rbg81

engineering degree ?
« on: October 05, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
So, like a lot of people on this board, I took the LSAT yesterday.  I think that I did pretty well, but we shall see. 

I didn't even know that this board existed until I did some internet searching yesterday, and I am glad I didn't know because I would have FREAKED out and wasted a lot of time here instead of my self-study. 

However, after reading a lot of these boards and other boards, one thing I am becoming concerned about is my somewhat unconventional path in deciding to go to law school.  I finished my mechanical engineering bachelor's degree about 5 years ago and have been employed full-time working in engineering and business since.  Both of the companies I have worked for are fairly well-known and recognizable.  I have a pretty good GPA (3.60) from a school that is notorious for flunking students and giving out low GPA's (Georgia Tech).  I don't really have any extra-curriculars or community involvement or anything.  I think I will do decent on the LSAT, and I am not going to apply anywhere that is real prestigious.  Right now, my list includes places like: UGA, Kentucky, Tennessee, and probably Emory and GA State.    (As an aside, can anyone guess where I live?)

So, my question to all of the "experts" on this board is how my engineering degree will fare with an admissions committee ?  I like to think that it help make me a "wild card" or sorts, and show that I have already have proven success in a challenging academic environment, as well as the ability to think critically, solve problems, etc, etc. 

What are your thoughts ?  Is there anyone else here that is attempting a similar path as me ?

Thank you. 

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: engineering degree ?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 12:05:35 PM »
As long as you do well on the LSAT, you'll be great.  Schools know about how hard engineering is at GT, and so you get some leeway with your GPA.  I have several friend from there now in law school; one is at an HYS with a lower GPA than you.  The fact that you did so well there should be a good asset for you.  Just keep your fingers crossed for the LSAT.  Good luck!
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

MLOSU

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 06:33:46 PM »
I'm on a similar path, but with a much lower GPA than you unfortunately. 

Graduated undergrad in 2005 and have been working as a welding/process/mechanical engineer since.  I'm hoping that I did well enough on my LSAT yesterday to offset my GPA enough to get me into a Tier 2 school around my area.  I have already been accepted at a Top 20 business school which I am applying for law school at as well, so hopefully that works out and I am able to pursue a JD/MBA.

From the research I have done, it seems that admission committees generally see engineers as unconventional and give us a little break in the process.  Hopefully someone can confirm or reject this idea??

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 03:11:28 AM »
Copying from my response to your other thread.

3.6 gpa in engineering from a well-known school is great.

Work experience is great.

It really comes down to your LSAT, though.  If your numbers are competitive for any given school, you'll have a fair shot.  Depending on what that particular school thinks of people with tech backgrounds, you might have a slightly better shot than your numbers would suggest.

Anecdotal evidence hints that lower ranked schools up through some of the T20 or even into the T10 really like getting people with tech backgrounds.  The major may act as a so-called "soft" factor, basically.  Then, it kind of flips... it seems a bit harder to get into the very highest ranked schools.  Some have and will continue to do so, of course, but this just seems to be the basic story.

I assume you're interested in IP work after law school, probably patents?  If so, my experience has been that IP firms truly appreciate people with some substantial work experience before law school, especially if it's in a technical field.

I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.