Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm f'n up bad and need ADVICE  (Read 4785 times)

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I'm f'n up bad and need ADVICE
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 01:31:11 PM »
Harsh truth:  IMO, you sound like a spoiled trust fund kid.  This post, if true, actually disgusts me a little bit.  Every single opportunity you've had it sounds like you were (1) completely incompetent due to laziness or (2) you completely flaked out because you were either expected to do stuff you didn't like (OMG...they actually wanted me to like work and stuff) or because things weren't 100% exactly how you wanted them to be.

You can either grow up and start making responsible choices, or you should drop out and continue living off your parents and do whatever sates your "addiction to pleasure."  ::)

And please, please don't do criminal defense or start your own practice - your clients deserve someone with dedication and responsibility, qualities that you don't seem to have (at least based on your post).

This is why I suggest OP drop out of law school.  If he's not going to take law school or practice seriously, he should stop wasting his parents' money. 

And don't worry, OP, you can still be a governor without a law degree.
2L

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 02:33:33 PM »
I am torn between
A) working for the gov't which I hate,

The government is not a free piece of easy cake.  There are government jobs that are much more difficult to land than anyfirm USA entry-level associate.  Consider certain DOJ jobs and big-name federal agency work.  Particularly in this economy, there are basically no jobs that are non-competitive.

Your credentials do not sound stellar, and having dropped out of three jobs for one reason or another will work against you.  Do your best and apply yourself with a job search, maybe working on connections, but please don't think that "the government" is there to pick you up with a job just because you have a JD.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 02:44:36 PM »
Absolutely, but don't think that well-scoring T3/T4 kids, and maybe others, aren't gunning for them.  My point is that "government employment" is not a backup plan for doing poorly in law school.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 10:15:51 PM »
Ok, just because I am spoiled and lazy, and can't take things seriously or professionally does not make me a poor lawyer. I'm only 22, so i gues I'm kinda immature or dillapidated.

But I am fretting over this job ting, can anyone please tell me when would be the best time to aim for a job. My plan was to focus on school for the next few months, intern somewhere this spring, and try to land a clerkship.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 10:22:28 PM »
Hi,

The bad:
I go to a mid T2 (top 70) and I ranked in the top 1/3, screwed up all OCI's, got inexplicably fired from one summer job, and the other job was so crappy that half way through I just stopped doing the work (but it was on the 68th floor of the empire state building, and the firm boss liked me).
I also quit legal aid after a day.

Anyway, I heard the networking advice and it seems a bit late for it.

Also, I have been screwing around for the last half of this semester,and its looking pretty bad.

The Good:
I could start my own office
I have No debt as my parents are kinda rich, plus I have good family connects.
I'm quick witted, and really smart when I apply myself, but I am so lazy and addicted to pleasure

Now, what should I do next summer?
I am torn between
A) working for the gov't which I hate,
B) I can't work for Big Law as I am not qualified,
C) Do nothing and try to get laid :)
D) quit law school and find another profession, or retake the LSAT
E) Try to find a job
F) Network my ass off this coming 2L summer :)

OR
E) YOUR ADVICE

Much Thanks to the lovely people of this board.

p.s. I love money but I love life way more.

Harsh truth:  IMO, you sound like a spoiled trust fund kid.  This post, if true, actually disgusts me a little bit.  Every single opportunity you've had it sounds like you were (1) completely incompetent due to laziness or (2) you completely flaked out because you were either expected to do stuff you didn't like (OMG...they actually wanted me to like work and stuff) or because things weren't 100% exactly how you wanted them to be.

You can either grow up and start making responsible choices, or you should drop out and continue living off your parents and do whatever sates your "addiction to pleasure."  ::)

And please, please don't do criminal defense or start your own practice - your clients deserve someone with dedication and responsibility, qualities that you don't seem to have (at least based on your post).

-Cosigned. Just go ahead and drop out now.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 10:26:45 PM »
Ok, just because I am spoiled and lazy, and can't take things seriously or professionally does not make me a poor lawyer. I'm only 22, so i gues I'm kinda immature or dillapidated.

But I am fretting over this job ting, can anyone please tell me when would be the best time to aim for a job. My plan was to focus on school for the next few months, intern somewhere this spring, and try to land a clerkship.

Uh...it does make you a poor lawyer because you lack the discipline to focus on anything.  "Sorry, your Honor.  I know I missed a key hearing, resulting in my client losing his case and going to jail and/or owing a lot of money, but I just didn't feel like coming in that day!  My bad!"

You won't be getting a clerkship.  And if I was looking at your resume, I would never hire you.  3 ruined/wasted opportunities is at least 2 too many.

Good luck with everything though.

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 10:28:35 PM »
I'm older than OP and I can't stand working either. Stay in school forever.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 11:47:39 PM »
wow,criticism is all well-taken, but no one suggested anything constructive or provided me any good advice. :(

And Jacy, I am not going to put those wasted oppurtunities on my resume, that'd be silly, besides the jobs kinda sucked.I aint working in no loser spot that pays jack, no ma'm.

And I am very focused and quite the good lawyer when I so choose, that is, if I am paid. 
I betcha I can beat you in court any day of the week Jacy and on any topic.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 11:54:40 PM »
well what did you expect to be honest? I never got the impression from your original post that you wanted constructive criticism. Either way, I wouldn't rely on your parents connections to really help you. People won't hire their friend's kids if they don't pull their weight or do a passable job. Esp. not in this particular economy. That's been my experience at least

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »
wow,criticism is all well-taken, but no one suggested anything constructive or provided me any good advice. :(

And Jacy, I am not going to put those wasted oppurtunities on my resume, that'd be silly, besides the jobs kinda sucked.I aint working in no loser spot that pays jack, no ma'm.

And I am very focused and quite the good lawyer when I so choose, that is, if I am paid. 
I betcha I can beat you in court any day of the week Jacy and on any topic.

lul. Flame
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.