Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm f'n up bad and need ADVICE  (Read 4746 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I'm f'n up bad and need ADVICE
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 04:21:17 AM »
wow,criticism is all well-taken, but no one suggested anything constructive or provided me any good advice. :(

And Jacy, I am not going to put those wasted oppurtunities on my resume, that'd be silly, besides the jobs kinda sucked.I aint working in no loser spot that pays jack, no ma'm.

And I am very focused and quite the good lawyer when I so choose, that is, if I am paid. 
I betcha I can beat you in court any day of the week Jacy and on any topic.

Poor flame. Jacy seems like a fine lawyer to be, you seem like a burnt out druggie to be, and from the sound of things, you probably won't be very good at that either. You lack the discipline. HTMFH.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 11:20:22 AM »
Jacy, I think Ninja has a crush on you :)

Thanks for your advice Ninja, it was really helpful!!!

Your so cool

smiley

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 11:48:46 AM »
Mina, if you really plan on staying in law school and becoming a lawyer (not to mention "landing" a clerkship) you need to focus and get a plan together now (even though you say you hate them). You need to look at your available resources - your career services office and your office of public service if your school has one. You had 2 jobs your 1L summer? You say it's too late to network, but if you made any decent connections there, you need to contact those people, ask them to be references, etc. You're interested in criminal defense? Although I agree with Jacy, especially about indigent criminal defense, try looking for some private criminal defense attorneys in your area and see if they would be willing to meet with you. You need to find some kind of legal job for 2L summer and stick with it. You need to produce some quality writing samples and get good references and have people be willing to write you a recommendation. Even stellar law students at top schools don't just "land" clerkships - it takes a lot of diligence and effort to research judges, to be persistent, to write cover letters, and it's a very inconsistent process.

I think in the end you will do what you want to do, but I think you need to take action if you are thinking about this in reality.

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 10:47:05 PM »
Thanks for the heads up smiley.

There are a few open jobs with small criminal defense firms this fall, but I was bent on taking this semester to try and boost my GPA, and try to land a job for next spring.

But I don't have any set plan on what I am doing next summer, I want to intern for a crim. law or fed. judge, or work hands on somewhere OTHER than crappy legal-aid/DA.

I know several professors who would write me a very good LOR.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 12:16:32 AM »
Jacy, I think Ninja has a crush on you :)

Thanks for your advice Ninja, it was really helpful!!!

Your so cool

Just saying, you seem like a @#!* up. Don't hate me because you can't keep your *&^% together and have a prima donna thing going where you think you're too good to work anywhere.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 02:21:06 AM »

Your so cool

Maybe your just not cut out to be a lawyer.

smiley

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 08:05:56 AM »
Thanks for the heads up smiley.

There are a few open jobs with small criminal defense firms this fall, but I was bent on taking this semester to try and boost my GPA, and try to land a job for next spring.

But I don't have any set plan on what I am doing next summer, I want to intern for a crim. law or fed. judge, or work hands on somewhere OTHER than crappy legal-aid/DA.

I know several professors who would write me a very good LOR.

Oh, okay, I think I misunderstood what you were looking for re your original post. Does your school have specific relationships with organizations that could provide you with a spring externship opportunity? Or were you thinking more like volunteering for a couple of hours a week? Either way, there should be many opportunities to do this, some with very hands-on experience. In the public defender organization I worked for, students from law schools that had externships set up get a great deal of experience. One girl was able to do 4 or 5 trials (albeit in juvenile court, but still) by herself.

Even if you are open to where you work your 2L summer, you should start making those inroads now. I understand you are not necessarily committed to public interest work, but you shouldn't rule out great organizations which will give you good experiences based on your one day at whatever legalaid org you worked for last summer. Public interest is sometimes hit or miss, but a lot of it depends on the tenacity of the student. The lawyers at those kinds of orgs are very busy doing make or break work for a lot of clients in need. You have to be proactive about getting the kinds of assignments you want, or observing hearings or oral arguments, or having client interaction, if that's what interests you. If you are interested in judges with certain types of dockets (esp. in federal, the dockets can be quite different), start doing research on that now and work on really good cover letters for those judges and polish your writing sample (think about sending two). A judge wants someone who he or she can get along with and someone who can write, research, and analyze, and who has good attention to detail. Hope this helps.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 09:02:03 AM »

I don't normally get offended on this board but this poster embodies the attitudes of the entitled generation. If you want something, you have to work for it. Though you seem to think you are too good for many of the great opportunities you have had, is an attitude I am confident will come back and bite you. Way to burn bridges.

You want construct advice: A complete attitude adjustment. Get over yourself.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 10:29:56 AM »
I have to admit...this is a pretty good flame.