Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm f'n up bad and need ADVICE  (Read 4671 times)

Mina

• View Profile
I'm f'n up bad and need ADVICE
« on: October 04, 2008, 10:53:28 PM »
Hi,

The bad:
I go to a mid T2 (top 70) and I ranked in the top 1/3, screwed up all OCI's, got inexplicably fired from one summer job, and the other job was so crappy that half way through I just stopped doing the work (but it was on the 68th floor of the empire state building, and the firm boss liked me).
I also quit legal aid after a day.

Anyway, I heard the networking advice and it seems a bit late for it.

Also, I have been screwing around for the last half of this semester,and its looking pretty bad.

The Good:
I could start my own office
I have No debt as my parents are kinda rich, plus I have good family connects.
I'm quick witted, and really smart when I apply myself, but I am so lazy and addicted to pleasure

Now, what should I do next summer?
I am torn between
A) working for the gov't which I hate,
B) I can't work for Big Law as I am not qualified,
C) Do nothing and try to get laid :)
D) quit law school and find another profession, or retake the LSAT
E) Try to find a job
F) Network my ass off this coming 2L summer :)

OR
E) YOUR ADVICE

Much Thanks to the lovely people of this board.

p.s. I love money but I love life way more.

wcombs65

• View Profile
Re: I'm f'n up bad and need ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 11:14:27 PM »
My biggest question is, do you enjoy the law?  Do you want to be a lawyer?  If not, get out.  Go find something you're passionate about and go after it.  If you do like it, buckle down, work hard to make a least decent grades, and network your ass off.

I'm going with option D or F for you.
Oklahoma 1L

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 11:30:43 PM »
I like the law, and would like to be a criminal defense lawyer. I do like philosophy/writing much more, but that doesn't pay.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 11:39:44 PM »
I'm not in law school, so take this for what it's worth, but if you come from a well to do background why do you care how much your job pays? it sounds to be honest, like you don't like what you are doing, otherwise you wouldn't be wasting the opportunities that you have worked for/received. Why not do something you actually enjoy and make money at it rather than go into a profession that you clearly are not committed to ?

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 12:00:15 AM »
Quit law school and find another profession.
2L

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 12:09:53 AM »
well I'm half way done, I'm gonna suck it up and handle it, I'll find a job some way. I'm real quick on my feet and really hate "plans" :)
Maybe I'll be a politician? I'd make a good governor

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 12:34:54 AM »
Face it. If you quit, you will hate yourself.  :-\

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 09:41:57 AM »
It seems like you dont like the law?  have you considered becoming a professor?  Obviously not at a law school cause I doubt you would be qualified, but maybe teaching undergraduate classes?  It would give you an opportunity to write and be philosophically and stuff.

intel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 12:41:22 PM »
why are people telling him to drop out? just get the degree and then do something non-legal after graduating if you still want to. it would be different if he was financing it through loans, though even then it seems like dropping out at the half way point would be a dumb move.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 01:14:14 PM »
Hi,

The bad:
I go to a mid T2 (top 70) and I ranked in the top 1/3, screwed up all OCI's, got inexplicably fired from one summer job, and the other job was so crappy that half way through I just stopped doing the work (but it was on the 68th floor of the empire state building, and the firm boss liked me).
I also quit legal aid after a day.

Anyway, I heard the networking advice and it seems a bit late for it.

Also, I have been screwing around for the last half of this semester,and its looking pretty bad.

The Good:
I could start my own office
I have No debt as my parents are kinda rich, plus I have good family connects.
I'm quick witted, and really smart when I apply myself, but I am so lazy and addicted to pleasure

Now, what should I do next summer?
I am torn between
A) working for the gov't which I hate,
B) I can't work for Big Law as I am not qualified,
C) Do nothing and try to get laid :)
D) quit law school and find another profession, or retake the LSAT
E) Try to find a job
F) Network my ass off this coming 2L summer :)

OR
E) YOUR ADVICE

Much Thanks to the lovely people of this board.

p.s. I love money but I love life way more.

Harsh truth:  IMO, you sound like a spoiled trust fund kid.  This post, if true, actually disgusts me a little bit.  Every single opportunity you've had it sounds like you were (1) completely incompetent due to laziness or (2) you completely flaked out because you were either expected to do stuff you didn't like (OMG...they actually wanted me to like work and stuff) or because things weren't 100% exactly how you wanted them to be.

You can either grow up and start making responsible choices, or you should drop out and continue living off your parents and do whatever sates your "addiction to pleasure."  ::)

And please, please don't do criminal defense or start your own practice - your clients deserve someone with dedication and responsibility, qualities that you don't seem to have (at least based on your post).