Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Headquarters Office versus Regional Office  (Read 2647 times)

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Headquarters Office versus Regional Office
« on: October 04, 2008, 07:38:25 PM »
Ok, here's the skinny - I am trying to decide between two firms, in two different cities:

1) Headquarters office of STRONG V40 - however, not too crazy about its location -
2) Strong Regional office of STRONG V50 - in exact location I want to be -

What are the advantages/disadvantages to both of these options? I will have almost the exact same options open to me as far as practice areas in both firms, both pay top notch, and both have excellent associate satisfaction ratings - and both offices are MAD-nice -

Please advise. ???

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Headquarters Office versus Regional Office
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 07:45:19 PM »
ffs.  Work where you want to live.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

bitblaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:26:33 PM »
V50.
2L

Lojack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 11:52:13 AM »
I can not really believe that any V50 firm would have a bad office, but go where you want, in the end it is about where you will be happy.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 12:38:34 PM »
ffs.  Work where you want to live.

Ditto

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 01:02:56 PM »
the only reason to worry about a regional office is that some regional offices are weaker than the home office. IF you are satisfied that it is a very good regional office though, work where you want to. I don't think a V40 vs a V50 matters all that much - I would want to know what firms specifically before I said whether I thought one was a step down from another, but generically there is no reason to assume one is better. For instance, Willkie, Wilson Sonsini, and Akin Gump really stand out for me among the V40, and Quinn, Munger, Boies, and Irell stand out among the V50.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 01:30:27 PM »
I worked at a regional office of a firm this summer and am going to a regional office of another firm next summer (V30). I liked my firm this past summer because it had a completely different outlook on work/life balance than many of the other firms in the city. Also, many of the projects we would get come from other offices.  So, it is not like you really lose any thing from the firm by being in a regional office.  Also, if you are fortunate, you may even gain by finding a regional office in a city with a different feel than the rest of the firm.  For example, look at Quinn.  Its a mad chill cali firm.  There dress code alone sets them apart from every other vault firm. This carries with them to their NY office as well.

Go where you will be happier (considering firm/locale/etc).  If they have the group you want, then why let rankings effect your decisions?  Outside of some of the people in your law school, no one will know whether your 160K paycheck is coming from the number 47 firm or the number 35 firm. 

ScoobySnacks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 05:19:47 PM »
For example, look at Quinn.  Its a mad chill cali firm.  There dress code alone sets them apart from every other vault firm. This carries with them to their NY office as well.

Does anyone have any more thoughts about Quinn? Good things, bad things?

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 05:31:35 PM »
good litigation, you save money on dry cleaning, and they are kind of nuts.

ScoobySnacks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
good litigation, you save money on dry cleaning, and they are kind of nuts.

Nuts how?