Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I feel so defeated!!  (Read 3976 times)

grover1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: I feel so defeated!!
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 01:06:29 PM »
I'm not sure about everyone else, but how I think I did on the LSAT rarely ever predicts how I actually performed, because I almost always come out with this cautious optimism; however, the time I felt I performed the worst (on a PT) I ended up scoring a 171 - my highest. So, I suppose if it were me, I'd wait. I'm actually concerned that I feel semi-confident (thanks to the girls I drove with being so panicky afterwards) about my performance.

It's been the same for me. I usually have no idea about my score, which I think is pretty unique to the LSAT. That's why this post-mortem second guessing is so frustrating!

philosopher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 03:31:15 PM »
It's a tough call. After my June test I didn't feel confident going in, but I thought I did decently. At least 165+. And I got a 159 and I wish I had cancelled. This test, being a retake, I also majorly bombed the last game (and part of the third) and as I said elsewhere, was pretty much on the verge of tears heading into the last section and thought 'should I walk out now?' but all I have on file is a 159 and I sure was not retaking this test again and I had paid for it so I was just literally like 'f*ck this' and pretty much tore through the last section with some sort of rage focus and finished it incredibly early (about 10 - 12 minutes to spare). So the point is - you will never know until you get it. I thought I did okay last time and did terribly and I bombed part of one section this time and I may have still done terribly. If you want to apply for next year I would probably just ride it out but if you are not, then I would probably cancel because it's not worth having a really low score on your report if you have the time to redo it.

titcr. I walked out feeling terrible, but am now focusing on all the other things I have to do. All we can do is wait; and I paid for it, damn it, I'll take what I get. If it turns out to be disappointing, well, I'll retake, and I'll know better what to expect going into the next (re: environment, my own psyche, etc).

I'll tell you what though: it's reconfirmed my decision to go to law school, and that is a great motivator. After I left I started feeling so down on myself--"maybe you're just not cut out to be a lawyer", that kind of thing. But that's a load of #&$&, and happily it only took me a few hours to realize it.  ;) Now I'm concentrating on what I need to do to get where I want to be--whether that means retaking, or waiting til next cycle, or whathaveyou.

WHew, ok, I'm nixing the cheerleader talk.  :)

I really admire your confidence.  I've been trying so hard ever since I started studying to have that same confidence.  After the test I felt pretty okay about it, I was just hoping that the 1st RC section I had wasn't the experimental and the 2nd one instead was.  But when I found out it was the other way around, I totally broke down.  It has been really hard to not think so negatively but I'm still trying.  I signed up for the Dec. test just in case, but I'm still holding out hope for the October score.
"People pay for what they do, and still more for what they have allowed themselves to become; and they pay for it very simply: by the lives they lead."
--James Baldwin

alethea

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 04:12:55 PM »
I'm now all but certain I'm not going to score the test.  If I just felt I did bad, but still completed the sections, I'd go ahead and turn it in.  But, I know without question I did bad, because I didn't complete 3 of the scored sections.  With RC, from 17-27 were all 'D'.  I know I had 4 on the first LR I simply labeled 'D' without looking, and on the last one I know it was between 5-7.  I've not been like that since the early practice tests I was doing (because I lacked the stamina, speed, timing, etc.). 

If that is the case, I think you should cancel.  Admissions might take your high score when reporting their class numbers, but they don't ignore your first score during decision.  You can take in December, apply to your top choices, and if you don't like your options, wait until next cycle.  If you have not yet graduated with your BA, you can leave your degree open and take some more classes to boost your GPA, or travel for a year, or get an interesting job. 

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 06:12:41 PM »
Heyhithere, I would definitely cancel if I were you.  You definitely did not have a good run, so whatever score you get is definitely NOT going to be reflective of your capabilities.  Why even have the score on your file?

I know it sucks to have to take the test again, but it sucks more to have to lower your sights because you kept an aberrant score on file.

I feel for you man.  That extra LG section seemed to throw a lot of people off their game.  I'm glad I didn't have it in mine.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

augusta

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 06:28:20 PM »
Heyhithere, I would definitely cancel if I were you.  You definitely did not have a good run, so whatever score you get is definitely NOT going to be reflective of your capabilities.  Why even have the score on your file?

I know it sucks to have to take the test again, but it sucks more to have to lower your sights because you kept an aberrant score on file.

I feel for you man.  That extra LG section seemed to throw a lot of people off their game.  I'm glad I didn't have it in mine.

Is it worth it to cancel, then, if you feel like you definitely did not perform up to your potential? Like I said above, I left feeling awful--my nerves got to me, I was pressed for time where I typically finish early, etc. But now that it's over, I feel like I ought to wait it out and see the results, because it might be the stress that made me feel so uncertain. I've been working under the assumption that if you retake and up your score by 3-5+ points, schools will take the higher score. Plus I feel like if I cancel it's the same as throwing $120 out the window.

But maybe I'm being shortsighted. If it really makes a difference (having a low score on your record), then I would consider canceling.  :-\
3.67/Oct. LSAT

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 06:41:49 PM »
It depends really. I completely agree with those who say how you feel you did is often not reflective of how you actually did. I left my test last time feeling okay about it, not amazing but not bad either and I scored far below what I was scoring during PT's and wish I had cancelled. What schools actually do with multiple scores is uncertain. Many top schools say they average, many say they take the highest score but do they actually do those things? Who knows. My guess is that increasingly more people have multiple scores and that they don't look down on it as much as previously. If you walked out and feel super stressed and are uncertain of you did, than I would say ride it out. If however, during the exam itself you know for a fact (ie during games you didn't even get to the last game or you screwed up the third game and didn't have time for the last game, ie what happened to me) that you bombed a certain section than I would cancel. If you took more time than you do normally on PT's, I wouldn't necessarily take that as an indicator that you did poorly. Writing under actual test conditions puts the pressure on and so you aren't going to do things exactly the same. If during the test itself however you thought - I really do not know what I am doing and I am guessing at a majority of questions, I would cancel.

heyhithere

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 07:49:24 PM »
I'm now pretty sure I know what happened.  It was the adrenaline, which was going on forever (I woke up at 5), along with the big let down on that experimental section.  After the let down, I was drained and felt defeated, which completely eliminated all my adrenaline.  I was then just sucking wind waiting for the test to end.  I just simply couldn't get it back together.  I'm not for sure how to prevent that from happening again except for maybe take more practice tests the week of the test (I had slowed down considerably the last week).  One thing for sure that I know is this: I have no doubt, barring some psychological breakdown again, that i can do better. 
The Dude Abides

alethea

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 09:15:52 PM »
If you just felt over anxious and didn't do as well as you might have on your best practice tests, I don't think it would be worth canceling.  That is going to be true for pretty much anyone that takes the test. 

If you know you really messed up, then cancel.  For example, if you missed a whole game, and missed many questions due to time running out and having to guess, even though you usually finish, or you had to pee and missed half the section, made a huge bubbling error, etc., and the score will be well below your general average (allowing for nerves either way), you should cancel. 

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 11:47:16 PM »
Augusta, I guess I should have been more specific.  I think Hiheythere should cancel because he said he guessed on ~10 questions.  That is way more than you should probably be guessing, but then again, I don't exactly know what he is aiming for score-wise. 

As for the throwing $120 away argument, I don't think it holds water.  The $120 is a sunk cost.  You had to pay it for the opportunity to write.  Whether you keep your score should not be tied to the money whatsoever.  The money is gone either way. 

If you feel a little unsure, but ultimately don't feel like there were THAT many questions that you were unsure about, I would wait it out (that's what I'm doing).  I don't feel like I NAILED the test, but I also don't feel like I bombed.  I think sometimes it is easy to focus on the few that caused you to second-guess yourself, and then amplify those doubts into full-blown anxiety.  If you feel like you can conservatively guess what the maximum amount you got wrong is, and you can live with getting that many wrong in a worst-case scenario, I would wait to see what you get.  Often, I feel like I do a lot worse (especially on RC) than I actually do. 
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

ak2ca

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 07:17:06 PM »
I'm now pretty sure I know what happened.  It was the adrenaline, which was going on forever (I woke up at 5), along with the big let down on that experimental section.  After the let down, I was drained and felt defeated, which completely eliminated all my adrenaline.  I was then just sucking wind waiting for the test to end.  I just simply couldn't get it back together.  I'm not for sure how to prevent that from happening again except for maybe take more practice tests the week of the test (I had slowed down considerably the last week).  One thing for sure that I know is this: I have no doubt, barring some psychological breakdown again, that i can do better. 

heyhithere I really feel for you! I also had the awful experimental LG as my first section and it threw off my game entirely for the first half of the test. LG is usually my best section and I couldn't finish two of the games. It was a bruiser. Like you, my confidence was shaken for the next LR and RC sections and I was thinking of canceling at the break until I got the second LG and then the next LR, which were a bit better. I think if you ended up guessing on as many as you think you may have you should probably cancel. December is just a few months away and if you get your apps in by early January you're still in good shape for this cycle. I know I guessed on four in the first LR section and a couple in the RC (again, not typical--grr), but I'm going to wait it out and see if the second LG and LR sections turn out better. This is just one test!