Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T3 student to take a placement at a V10 firm due to a connection  (Read 2928 times)

Lojack

• View Profile
A friend of mine goes to a mid-range T3 school but due a close family connection have been afforded an opportunity to work at a V10 firm during the summer,He is a little bit torn about this because in reality he would never qualify for such a position in any other circumstance.

Do you think taking it could hurt him in the future because mid to small firms could be scared off by seeing such a firm on the resume especially if he were not asked back by the such V10 firm, wondering what happened, I assume in most circumstances 2L summer students at V10 firms at least get an offer to stay on after school, I mean money is not an issue with firms at this level.

One question do biglaw firms have students beyond their student program?

Any insight into this situation would be great.

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: T3 student to take a placement at a V10 firm due to a connection
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 06:44:01 PM »
If you're at all interested in the big firm thing, take it.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 07:49:42 PM »
At a v10, you will get a permanent offer as long as you do at least passable work and don't otherwise make a fool of yourself.

Of course you know you are going to take the job. Why bother asking us about it?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 10:13:53 PM »
Oh I forgot to mention, my position might not be a part of the official summer program but as a clerk, would that fact matter in your consideration?

You are a law student at a tier 3 school during a crazy economic crisis.  Take whatever you can get, do the best you can at it, and hope that it turns into something.  If not, you will at least have had the experience of being the only person at your school to have worked at a V10 firm.

Lojack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 10:38:26 AM »
Thanks for the insight YBR, it was good to read, I am curious just how common are summer students at Vault firms outside of the official summer program?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 01:42:57 PM »
Firms don't have to report the statistics of people who are given offers outside of the summer associate programs to NALP, so there's a much higher chance that OP wouldn't get a perm offer.  You should find out more about the position--would it be on track for a permanent offer?  It's possible that you will not be evaluated or eligible for a permanent offer if you're more of a personal clerk to an attorney or intern than a member of the summer associate class.  Permanent hiring decisions at most large firms are generally made by a committee to prevent some of the crony-ism that has gotten you this semi-summer associate gig. So there's also a chance that even if you are evaluated for a permanent position, you wouldn't get it because your qualifications would be reviewed again--this time by a committee.

I'm confused, where did OP say this was outside the formal summer program? If that's the case, I rescind my comments.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Lojack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 02:26:38 PM »
Sorry it got deleted by mistake when I was editing it, yes it could be a placement outside of the formal program, sorry for the confussion.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 03:16:44 PM »
I donít know about NYC, but I have worked at two local biglaw offices outside of the summer program. I also got a friend a job there when I left outside the summer program. For what itís worth I got permanent offers from both places. It happens, I also know a classmate who working for biglaw local office that got the job after taking a class taught by a partner at the firm. Be forewarned though, when you handpicked by someone at the firm the expectations of you will be higher. You wonít be given the type of leeway and fluff assignments summers get. You will be expected, or at least I was, to pull your own weight. The key to get an offer is knowing how the system works, make your partner and his senior associate look good, rather than worrying about yourself and you be very likable around the firm. Thatís the opposite of what summers need to do, they just need to survive long enough to finish without screwing anything up majorly. 
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.