Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Diagraming unless  (Read 1880 times)

czarnykot

• View Profile
Diagraming unless
« on: October 03, 2008, 10:55:26 AM »
Is this the correct way?

A unless B

if NOT B--> A

Pretentious Undergrad

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pip pip, children.
    • View Profile
Re: Diagraming unless
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 11:03:46 AM »
Yup.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 11:38:53 PM »
You can either see unless as "if not" as done above, or you can draw your arrow where you see "unless" and negate the rest. (This ends up giving you the contrapositive of the above)

A unless B

if NOT A --> B

Variant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 01:27:25 AM »
Yet one more way of looking at it (with the hope that one of these helps). You've been given a couple of mechanical ways of looking at it; here's something a little less so.

Unless always introduces a necessary condition. Necessary conditions will always end up on the right of your arrow.

So, something like "Bob won't get frisky with the echinodermata unless Rachel and Trisha streak at the nursing home's football game" could be approached by putting the unless clause after your arrow:

--> R streaks & T streaks.

From here, the rest isn't too hard to think through I don't think. Your usual rules for the contrapositive apply as well.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 02:30:35 PM »
Yet one more way of looking at it (with the hope that one of these helps). You've been given a couple of mechanical ways of looking at it; here's something a little less so.

Unless always introduces a necessary condition. Necessary conditions will always end up on the right of your arrow.

So, something like "Bob won't get frisky with the echinodermata unless Rachel and Trisha streak at the nursing home's football game" could be approached by putting the unless clause after your arrow:

You gotta be careful here with your advice, because you haven't designated what its necessary for.  In this case, "R streaks & T streaks" is necessary for Bob to get frisky.  B frisky --> R streaks & T streaks

However, if the sentence had read, "Bob WILL get frisky with the echinodermata unless Rachel and Trisha streak at the nursing home's football game" then "R streaks & T streaks" becomes necessary for Bob NOT to get frisky.
B NOT frisky --> R streaks & T streaks

Variant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 07:36:50 PM »

You gotta be careful here with your advice, because you haven't designated what its necessary for.  In this case, "R streaks & T streaks" is necessary for Bob to get frisky.  B frisky --> R streaks & T streaks

However, if the sentence had read, "Bob WILL get frisky with the echinodermata unless Rachel and Trisha streak at the nursing home's football game" then "R streaks & T streaks" becomes necessary for Bob NOT to get frisky.
B NOT frisky --> R streaks & T streaks

Absolutely.

tony_rocky_horror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 08:13:42 PM »
I am working thru the LRB and got a little caught up on the conditional chapter. Any tips on how to always get the
sufficient and necessary straight 100% of the time other than memorize every preceding indicator?

OJ

• Let's make a golf date for 9-15 years from now
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 08:44:25 PM »
Don't have thugs wave guns around in a hotel room in Vegas for sports memorabilia.  It's really cold in here and they wont give me a pillow.
It wasn't me

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 08:48:07 PM »
Don't have thugs wave guns around in a hotel room in Vegas for sports memorabilia.  It's really cold in here and they wont give me a pillow.

Is that you, Cliff? Are you really that bored?
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 09:45:10 PM »
I am working thru the LRB and got a little caught up on the conditional chapter. Any tips on how to always get the
sufficient and necessary straight 100% of the time other than memorize every preceding indicator?

Make sure you understand the nature of sufficient and necessary conditions... there's a natural logic to it such that you should be able to figure out which is which even if you're given an indicator you haven't memorized.