Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: School doesn't allow thank-you's following OCI interviews - but he gave his card  (Read 1660 times)

BrooklynDodger

• View Profile
Recently completed an interview for a mid-size firm that was a nice talk, though I'm not sure how well it went.  Continually commended me on asking certain questions and then would say "That's a great question to ask on interviews!"  Maybe he was just trying to rattle me. 

At the end of the interview however, he asked for a copy of my writing sample (which I gave him) and gave me his card. 

That hasn't happened on other OCIs I've gone on yet.  Is that a sign of some sort? Should I send a thank-you note despite the school having a moritorium on those following OCI?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
I got cards on about 1/2 the interviews I went on, including ones where I was rejected. Don't read too much into it.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Patently No

• View Profile
wtf kind of school has a "moratorium" on thank you notes? The school can't control you. Do what you want. I always send thank yous, because that is the courteous thing to do.

BrooklynDodger

• View Profile
It seems stupid to me as well... but thats what the career office informed everyone.  No thank-you notes for interviews through OCI (I assume callback interviews are a different matter.) 

I debated whether I should break that or not (and whether or not my peers are actively doing it as well) but I'd hate to risk everything if its clear I did something sneaky.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
It seems stupid to me as well... but thats what the career office informed everyone.  No thank-you notes for interviews through OCI (I assume callback interviews are a different matter.) 

I debated whether I should break that or not (and whether or not my peers are actively doing it as well) but I'd hate to risk everything if its clear I did something sneaky.

you shouldnt send thank yous for screening interviews regardless of what the oci says.  They are fine for callbacks, but not necessary for the screening interview.

If you really want to thank him, come up with a follow up question.  Say, I wanted to thank you for answering my questions and taking the time to meet with me.  I have a question and was wondering if you could answer it. 

Or, something like that. 

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
And quit reading into the interview.  Asking for a writing-sample doesn't mean jack.  Just wait and see if you get a callback and go from there.

BrooklynDodger

• View Profile
Thanks. I do need to stop thinking about it and just keep heading forward.  I was pessimistic about OCI to begin with, but now that it resulted in a couple interviews I'm over scrutinizing, I think.