Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is my best option at this point?  (Read 1983 times)

Huso

• View Profile
What is my best option at this point?
« on: October 03, 2008, 09:19:12 AM »
So I've basically struck out on OCI interviews. I'm on law review at a T2 in a secondary market, but only was able to get three callbacks and got dinged from each. What is my best option for employment at this point? I've already decided that I'll probably interview again next fall, but I'd like to find a good job for this summer because many firms don't hire 3L's.  Should I look into mid-size firms? Government jobs? Any other good options?

TheBreadWinner

• View Profile
Re: What is my best option at this point?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 04:20:47 PM »
If you like doing transactional work, Chick-fil-A would be an excellent option for you to explore.  You will handle real business transactions on a daily basis and get to work with actual clients.  Plus, they let their employees eat free chicken nuggets and two cigarette breaks.
íMe cago en la leche!

nowa2L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 05:44:30 PM »
1.  Get "Guerrilla Tactics" by Walton.  Look at the chapter entitled "Where do great jobs come from?"  Basically, you need to start networking like crazy.  Use alumni, try to go to CLEs, attend Bar Association events, set up informational interviews.  Even though you're at a T2, you're on the Review.  If you try hard enough, you will get a job.

2.  See if you can schedule a mock interview with your school's career services.  Even in this market, I think chances should be over 50% that you get an offer from a callback.  Perhaps you're doing something in the interviewing process that is turning employers off.  Again, look at the Walton book for some good tips.

3.  Try again until you land a job.  I'm not sure (and I don't think employers are either) how this new 45-day NALP deadline thing is going to pan out.  I suspect that around mid-November many firms are going to see that some of the candidates they extended offers to decided to go elsewhere.  They *might* give you a second look before 1Ls start submitting their resumes Dec. 1st.  This is just speculation, but you might as well try....

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 07:28:50 PM »
1.  Get "Guerrilla Tactics" by Walton.  Look at the chapter entitled "Where do great jobs come from?"  Basically, you need to start networking like crazy.  Use alumni, try to go to CLEs, attend Bar Association events, set up informational interviews.  Even though you're at a T2, you're on the Review.  If you try hard enough, you will get a job.

This is the best advice that nobody will take on this baord.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

westcoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 09:43:29 AM »
Don't wait on gov't positions.  Positions in the well respected gov't honors programs will hold up at least as well as a mid-size firm during 3L OCI and when applying for clerkships.  But deadlines are quickly coming up... DOJ was over a month ago, FTC was last week, and I believe the SEC is next week.

lflyer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 12:55:25 PM »

This is the best advice that nobody will take on this baord.

I'll second (or third) this.  Coming from a T25 right around the median without any skills boards, any journal, and any connections, I had no business sniffing big law next year.  I read the book, followed the suggestions, and got a bunch of offers from V10-V40 firms.  I'm convinced the book is the only thing that prevented me from being on the outside looking in at biglaw next summer.  I don't know why people consistently refuse to even glance at the book.....

Huso

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 01:12:50 PM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone.  I actually read through Guerrilla Tactics this past summer, but admittedly I didn't really follow through on all of the advice.  (For others who read it, did you actually go to bar events and other things like that?)  I've actually heard that the summer internship with Chik-fil-a's in-house counsel is a great experience, so I may look in to that... thanks #2. 

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 01:32:14 PM »
(For others who read it, did you actually go to bar events and other things like that?)   

Yes, I know amazing, joining the professional orginization of the job you want to do, who would have thought of that?  :P
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 01:33:46 PM »
What does this Guerilla book say, exactly? I based my entire job search through OCI, so I'm curious what else there is to do when that doesn't work out...