Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GPA Addendum  (Read 1193 times)

SAM34

• 1L
    • View Profile
GPA Addendum
« on: October 02, 2008, 02:26:36 PM »
Hi all,

First post here on LSD.  I am wondering what to should focus on when writing a GPA addendum.  My situation is that I never really liked school, went half-assed for awhile and dropped out.  After two years off I went back and completed my bachelor's degree.  There is a significant difference in my GPA after I went back.

I wrote up a quick first draft if anyone would like to read it.  I could definitely use some advice here. 

Thanks in advance. 

augusta

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GPA Addendum
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 06:43:59 PM »
I, too, will be writing a GPA addendum. Generally the most important points will be:

1) Yes, I did have a legitimate reason for doing what I did.
2) (If #1 is actually false): Yes, I did learn something constructive from that stuff I did.
3) I am a better and smarter and more diligent person now, I have evidence to back that statement up, and no, I will not screw off in law school.

Losing your way, so to speak, is not uncommon and not necessarily a bad thing. If you've, er, "found" yourself as a result it probably means you won't be inclined to engage in any funny stuff that might make School X wish they'd never accepted you. But the most effective way to demonstrate that is by having a killer PS, having LORs from God, and having indisputable proof in the form of improved grades. 

From what you've said, I would ask: why didn't you like school? What makes you think you'll like law school? Why did you finally come back and finish the degree? These would be reasonable questions to attempt answering in the addendum.

I'm willing to look at your draft, if you like. You can PM it any time.
3.67/Oct. LSAT

seattlegirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 07:03:43 PM »
I would be willing to read a draft as well. I am writing an addendum also.

GTownorBust

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:33:05 PM »
I'll read your addendum
If you're coasting .. you're going downhill.

AndyB617

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 02:12:16 PM »
I'd be willing to trade addendums (addendae? haha.) with anyone.  I, too, had a similar situation.  I'm also new to this discussion board, so I'm not really familiar with how to post or accept anyone's PS or addendum.  Any help would be appreciated. 

pre_JD_2be

• PM me! I'll read your PS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 04:57:52 PM »
Hi Durs--

If this is your reason, keep your addendum super short. Crazy short. Like less than 200 words short. Get to the point, get in, get out. That's my advice! Long addenda are for tragedies--if you just needed to grow up and try again, no need to drag the addendum out.

Hi all,

First post here on LSD.  I am wondering what to should focus on when writing a GPA addendum.  My situation is that I never really liked school, went half-assed for awhile and dropped out.  After two years off I went back and completed my bachelor's degree.  There is a significant difference in my GPA after I went back.

I wrote up a quick first draft if anyone would like to read it.  I could definitely use some advice here. 

Thanks in advance. 

nashgal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 10:46:26 PM »
I'm in the very same situation (a GPA below 2.0 for a couple semesters, 2 years off, then a 3.7 for the past 4 semesters as I returned to school).  I'd be willing to trade addendums if you want another proofreader / would be willing to look at mine as well. 

SAM34

• 1L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 12:54:55 PM »
Hi Durs--

If this is your reason, keep your addendum super short. Crazy short. Like less than 200 words short. Get to the point, get in, get out. That's my advice! Long addenda are for tragedies--if you just needed to grow up and try again, no need to drag the addendum out.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance. 

Pre,

Thanks for the advice.  The original addendum I wrote was a bit drawn out.  I'm going to write a new one this weekend, and I'll PM it to those of you who were willing to trade.