Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JAG - Info wanted!  (Read 16403 times)

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
Re: JAG - Info wanted!
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2008, 07:30:41 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I understand why people prefer not to go to Iraq after being there for a year myself.  However, consider that ALL of your income while in Iraq is tax free, and, quite frankly, it's hard to spend much money while you're there (it's this latter part that really makes it add up), so you end up with quite a lump of cash at the end of the tour.  Sure, the going to Iraq part sucks, but at least there's one small upside.  That, and if terrorists ever attack with weaponized Anthrax, you'll be immunized (but the immunizations themselves suck, too).     

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2008, 08:07:24 PM »
If the subtext is a security concern re: Iraq and Afghanistan, I am pretty sure (AND MAY BE WRONG, please correct me) that JAG has not suffered anywhere near the human cost that the combat-forward forces have.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

Navlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - merspice18
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2008, 08:56:32 AM »
I only brought it up because that kind of thing is not for everyone. I am in the military and its not a huge issue for me but I just wanted people to know that the Navy is not just being on ships.
Quote from: IrrX
Hey, you don't want to push me in Nav's direction. That wonderful hair color and a uniform to boot, are you kidding me? :D
Quote from: mbw
Uh oh.  You'd better be careful - do you really want Nav mad at you?

AOCenteno

• View Profile
    • A Tailored Suit
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2008, 12:10:39 PM »
I haven’t seen much on the Marines, so I will chime in.  As a former legal officer for a Marine infantry battalion, I worked closely with both Marine and Navy JAGs and have a good idea of their lifestyle and responsibilities.

First, and I saw it mentioned, as a Marine you go through the same training as any officer.  6 months at TBS, which is where they teach you how to lead Marines and be an officer. You study and practice combat techniques, master various weapons, and are place in real high pressure leadership positions.  That being said, you have to want this type of lifestyle and the camaraderie that goes with it.  We had one JAG in my class, and he graduated at the top of our class – mostly I feel due to his intelligence and ability to calmly address high stress situations.

Why does a lawyer need this training?  Well, the simple answer is you are put in potentially dangerous situations, and if called upon you need to know what to do. We had a JAG whose convoy was ambushed in Baghdad; he literally took over a HummVee’s heavy machine gun when the main gunner was injured.  He knew how to operate the weapon, and seamlessly fit into the team.

Marine JAGs do start as 2ndLTs, but are rapidly promoted once they report to Naval Legal School (where they all leave as 03s).  The JAGs I knew were all working on high profile issues, advising men 20 years their senior on the legal implications of the actions they took and protecting the Marines under their command from potential legal pitfalls (law of war classes, scenario training, etc).

The Marines are not for everyone – talk with numerous JAGs before signing anything.  But if you want the military life with more of an intellectual bend, you’ll be hard pressed to find anything that compares to the JAG experience. 

Best of luck

Muhammad Ali

• Who's the prettiest? Who's the greatest?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 09:56:34 AM »
bump

I'm interested in being an AF JAG.  Good information here and yes, I learned a lot through their website.

Any others still thinking about being a JAG?  Specifically 1Ls?  What are you doing or to the more seasoned students/graduates, what did you do your 1L summer?
I'm the most recognized and loved man that ever lived cause there weren't no satellites when Jesus and Moses were around, so people far away in the villages didn't know about them.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/muhammadali

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 09:41:11 PM »
bump

I'm interested in being an AF JAG.  Good information here and yes, I learned a lot through their website.

Any others still thinking about being a JAG?  Specifically 1Ls?  What are you doing or to the more seasoned students/graduates, what did you do your 1L summer?

I worked for a Judge 1L summer, did the AF JAG internship 2L summer.  I am up for the Feb. selection board and will find out something at the end of Feb. or early March.

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 09:18:25 AM »
I haven't read through all of this, but a pretty good forum stuff on being an air force officer, not just JAG is www.airforceots.com.  There is a forum on there for JAGS too.  Some good info
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/

Poseidon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2009, 11:08:45 PM »
bump

I worked for the Commonwealth Attorney (prosecutor's office) my 1L summer, did the USAF JAG Internship my 2L summer.  Applied to the Oct 2008 USAF accessions board and found out in late Oct that I was accepted.  Also applied and was accepted to Army JAG, but definitely going Air Force. 

Experience and internships are important- JAG mostly wants to see that you're dedicated to public service (I also worked for the DOJ prior to law school).  JAG acceptances are competitive, usually around 10%.  My grades are decent, but I'm not in the very top of my class- goes to show the value JAG places on experience.

I didn't go back and read much of this thread, but feel free to post if you have questions.

GMUSL '09
USAF JAG Corps Commission

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2009, 12:11:21 PM »
I have interviews with both Air Force and Army JAG for 1L OCI. I bid because I thought it sounded interesting, but beyond that I know what's been said here and what's on the website. I'm sure it's much different than what people have described here, but I'm curious if anybody knows in what ways?
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

legalchic

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2009, 03:05:37 PM »
I applied to USAF JAG during my 3L year and was selected on my first application.  I went to NYLS, graduated a little above the middle of my class and did not do moot court, law review, any sort of journal, etc.  I had a lot of leadership positions in college but did not feel inclined to participate in much during law school.  During my interview we spent a great deal of time talking about my undergrad leadership positions bc I went to law school right after college.  During undergrad I started a dance company on my campus, held the position of captain for 2 years, was an RA, treasurer of my class, big sister, co-chair for new student orientation, student newspaper editor, etc.  And the Lieutenant Colonel that I interviewed with loved all of the experiences I told her about.  We also spent a lot of time discussing my law school internships.  1L summer I interned with a D.A.'s Office, 2L fall semester I interned for the judge who presided over the country's first felony domestic violence court, 2L summer I interned for a public defender's office and actually argued motions in court (and won!), and 3L fall semester I interned with another D.A.'s office.  And during law school I took a criminal advocacy course, which we also talked about during my interview.  I was actually concerned going into my interview bc all of my legal experience has been in criminal law but I was told it was an asset to have someone who was really interested in litigating.  I have heard that JAG applications are really a numbers game, but I def dont think I fit any sort of stereotype when it comes to applicants and I was still selected.

The one thing that I can say is that it took me almost 6 months to finally get a physical.  MEPS is serious about your health records and disclosing every possible thing before they will even schedule a physical for you.  I've had 4 knee surgeries, including a reconstruction, and they wanted my entire medical file (which was rather annoying considering my surgeon has since retired!).  But once I got to MEPS it was no big deal and they didnt even care about my knee (it's 100% by the way).  I finally took my commissioning oath a few weeks ago and I am going to COT in March!

If I can answer any questions anyone has, feel free to ask.  Of course I probably wont be around once March comes.  :-)