Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JAG - Info wanted!  (Read 16556 times)

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: JAG - Info wanted!
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 01:11:44 AM »
I'm not rifling through all of these posts but I am a recent grad and heading into active duty with Air Force JAG in January. I also spent my 2L in the civilian internship program, am happy to answer questions.
Air Force JAG Corps

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 02:11:58 AM »
I'm not rifling through all of these posts but I am a recent grad and heading into active duty with Air Force JAG in January. I also spent my 2L in the civilian internship program, am happy to answer questions.

Do you do OCS?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 08:28:56 AM »
op - w&L cso frequently has jag reps on campus for informational sessions - you should attend.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 12:33:58 AM »

Do you do OCS?

Assuming you are going into law school as a civilian, there are three ways to commission as a JAG. The Graduate Law Program (GLP), One Year College Program (OYCP), and Direct Appointment (DA). DA is the most common for AF and Army, least common for Navy.

There is no OCS for Air Force. One attends a 4 week watered down version of the Basic Officer's Training (BOT) Course called Commissioned Officer's Training (COT). It's just a crash course in AF/military custom and culture. The Navy has a similar type of training. Army now requires its DAs to go through all three phases of the Basic Officer's Leadership Course (BOLC), which is the same training that ROTC and OCS graduates attend.

The only service branch that requires OCS is the Marine Corps but you will find they run against the grain for all things JAG.

Air Force JAG Corps

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 03:02:03 AM »

Do you do OCS?

Assuming you are going into law school as a civilian, there are three ways to commission as a JAG. The Graduate Law Program (GLP), One Year College Program (OYCP), and Direct Appointment (DA). DA is the most common for AF and Army, least common for Navy.

There is no OCS for Air Force. One attends a 4 week watered down version of the Basic Officer's Training (BOT) Course called Commissioned Officer's Training (COT). It's just a crash course in AF/military custom and culture. The Navy has a similar type of training. Army now requires its DAs to go through all three phases of the Basic Officer's Leadership Course (BOLC), which is the same training that ROTC and OCS graduates attend.

The only service branch that requires OCS is the Marine Corps but you will find they run against the grain for all things JAG.

Thank ye.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

cb1417

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 03:55:26 PM »
CoxlessPair, or anyone that can answer-

What was the application process like for the AF GLP program? How was ROTC in lawschool, where did you go to lawschool and how did you do? (if you don't mind). 

My father is an active duty Col. in the AF and I have been somewhat rebelious until recently regarding the whole military thing. I understand the lifestyle and I know the sacrifices, but I see them a little differently than most would; as I have already dealt with most of them growing up. 

An earlier post on this thread said that the GLP only had a 20% acceptance rate, to your knowledge is this true and if I want to be a realistic in my GLP aspirations do I need to smoke the LSAT and go to a top50 Law School?

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2008, 04:48:02 PM »
I haven't seen anyone really say this point blank, so I will:

You will most likely end up in Iraq. In Amy JAG, it will likely happen twice during your 4 year commitment.

I really considered this. I was sold on the program for a while, but when I thought of being in Iraq and away from wife for 30 months out of the first 48 months of my career, I had to pass.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 12:59:32 AM »
CoxlessPair, or anyone that can answer-

What was the application process like for the AF GLP program? How was ROTC in lawschool, where did you go to lawschool and how did you do? (if you don't mind). 

My father is an active duty Col. in the AF and I have been somewhat rebelious until recently regarding the whole military thing. I understand the lifestyle and I know the sacrifices, but I see them a little differently than most would; as I have already dealt with most of them growing up. 

An earlier post on this thread said that the GLP only had a 20% acceptance rate, to your knowledge is this true and if I want to be a realistic in my GLP aspirations do I need to smoke the LSAT and go to a top50 Law School?

I went through the Direct Appointment program, not the GLP. Sadly I do not know anyone at my law school who went with the GLP. If GLP has a 20% acceptance rate, that is still much better than the Direct Appointment program, which ranges from only 7%-12%. I would give JAX a call at 800-JAG-USAF and talk to whoever handles the GLP.

If GLP is anything like DA, don't feel it is T1 or bust with law schools. The base I spent my 2L at ranged from T-14ers through T4. You will be slightly limited in law school selections in that you will need a school with a ROTC detachment (or one close by).

I'm happy to talk my stats/law school with you, just send me a PM.

Air Force JAG Corps

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2008, 11:59:20 AM »

You will most likely end up in Iraq. In Amy JAG, it will likely happen twice during your 4 year commitment.

I really considered this. I was sold on the program for a while, but when I thought of being in Iraq and away from wife for 30 months out of the first 48 months of my career, I had to pass.

I would be sure to distinguish Army from AF/Navy in respect to this.

With Army JAG, you will absolutely deploy for potentially 2 12 month tours. It is scaling back a bit, but not by much from what I have gleaned from my friends on active duty. Afghanistan is quickly becoming the more likely destination for the newly commissioned JAGs.

Navy will stick you with 6-9 month ship tour. What this entails will depend on the ship to which you are assigned and a variety of other factors.

Air Force has typically been only 4 month tours since the War on Terror commenced, though I'm sure there are plenty of individual Airmen who served longer. The AF JAGs I know personally served both in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Air Force JAG Corps

Navlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - merspice18
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2008, 01:51:34 PM »

I would be sure to distinguish Army from AF/Navy in respect to this.

With Army JAG, you will absolutely deploy for potentially 2 12 month tours. It is scaling back a bit, but not by much from what I have gleaned from my friends on active duty. Afghanistan is quickly becoming the more likely destination for the newly commissioned JAGs.

Navy will stick you with 6-9 month ship tour. What this entails will depend on the ship to which you are assigned and a variety of other factors.

Air Force has typically been only 4 month tours since the War on Terror commenced, though I'm sure there are plenty of individual Airmen who served longer. The AF JAGs I know personally served both in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Navy can also send you on 6 month tours to Iraq or Afghanistan called Individual Augmentees. This is where they are sending a lot of new lawyers
Quote from: IrrX
Hey, you don't want to push me in Nav's direction. That wonderful hair color and a uniform to boot, are you kidding me? :D
Quote from: mbw
Uh oh.  You'd better be careful - do you really want Nav mad at you?