Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: pt 53 sect 1 q19--parallel reasoning  (Read 444 times)

big east boy

• View Profile
pt 53 sect 1 q19--parallel reasoning
« on: October 01, 2008, 06:16:08 PM »
The correct answer is A, but I put down B.  My reasoning was that since B stated that "Certain companies that had never.." I felt that 'never' was a parallel to the 'habitually' mentioned in the arg.  A, never comments on this and simply states "when a small company begins to advertise on the internet..".  After this both A and B seem to follow the same logic as the arg so I am confused as to what makes A superior.  Thanks in advance for any help.

HelpPlease1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: pt 53 sect 1 q19--parallel reasoning
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 12:11:32 AM »
I took this test earlier this week.  If I remember correctly the stimulus uses the word "generally" when talking about the habitual sleepers having a reduction in anxiety.  Thus, the correct answer choice needs to match "generally" with the first group.  I believe answer choice A uses the word "typically".

eslite119

• View Profile
Re: pt 53 sect 1 q19--parallel reasoning
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 12:40:44 AM »
I took this test earlier this week.  If I remember correctly the stimulus uses the word "generally" when talking about the habitual sleepers having a reduction in anxiety.  Thus, the correct answer choice needs to match "generally" with the first group.  I believe answer choice A uses the word "typically".

Actually it's the stimulus that uses the word "typically" and choice A uses the word "generally."
I have couple explanations for this one and I must admit that I had to take an educated guess between A and B.

The premises and conclusions in both stimulus and choice A uses such words as "typically," "generally," and "probably."

Stimulus Premise: "People who have habitually slept less than six hours a night and then begin sleeping eight or more hours a night typically begin to feel much less anxious."

Choice A: "When a small company first begin to advertise on the Internet, its financial situation generally improves."

NOW, compare those two premises to the one below:

Choice B: "Certain small companies that had never previously advertised on the Internet have found that their financial situation began to improve after they started to do so."

Notice that there are no words like "typically," "generally," and "probably."