Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: i did something bad..  (Read 1657 times)

clhurley

• View Profile
i did something bad..
« on: October 01, 2008, 03:15:26 PM »
so..... sort of distracted over here in paris, i feel proud of myself when i submit ANY law school app. the thing is.. on my personal statement, i'm all like la la la i'm so great blah blah, and then it says

"which is why i'd be a great law student at university of michigan law school."

....which, of course, i meant to send to university of michigan. however.. i saved it as an available document and have now sent that there closing sentence to georgetown, notre dame, texas, washington university, and duke. ouch.

is this fairly common, stupid little mistakes like this, or is this reeeeally really bad? should i just give up hope on those schools to which i've already applied? i'm so damn ditzy.. meh.
i'm currently abroad in paris, france. poor me. but it changes things.
lsat = 168; gpa = 3.8

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: i did something bad..
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 03:23:52 PM »
with your numbers im sure those schools, most if not all, will overlook that. im sure it happens A LOT. youre not the first person and certainly wont be the last.

of course you should be more careful. it goes without saying but im positive you will be okay.

gl and best wishes!

MLaw11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 03:42:57 PM »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you look at interviews with or comments from law school deans, this is pretty much pet peeve #1.  It's almost surprising how many explicitly mention this mistake.

So yeah, I'd say it's really really bad.  I'm sure it's auto-reject for some, but I wouldn't give up hope for all.  I'd definitely fax them an amended copy right away though.

ETA: You should let everyone know how this goes though.  Someone asks this question every year, and I feel like my post reflects the prevailing wisdom, but nobody ever comes back to let everyone know how it all turned out in the end.

TimMitchell

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 03:52:31 PM »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you look at interviews with or comments from law school deans, this is pretty much pet peeve #1.  It's almost surprising how many explicitly mention this mistake.

So yeah, I'd say it's really really bad.  I'm sure it's auto-reject for some, but I wouldn't give up hope for all.  I'd definitely fax them an amended copy right away though.

Check out the articles and interviews on top-law-schools.com and you'll see that MLAw is right, many of the interviews mention that explicitly as the worst thing to do. However, all is not lost if you email and write a letter explaining your mistake and submitting a new PS without the Michigan in it. I would assume that adcomms know that you are applying to several law schools and aren't mad about that, but more like it seems that you obviously aren't considering their school seriously. If you quickly send them an apology, a Why "X" (so they know you REALLY are considering their school) and PS (If I were you I would write a new one to show you are really dedicated, although simply changing Michigan to the name of their law school might be sufficient).

Whatever you do, forgetting about those schools and not getting a hold of admissions is not an option if you really are considering them. At the very least call and let them know the mistake.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
Look on the bright side, your numbers are good enough to get in at Michigan, and it's a really good school. As more proof to what has been said, adcomms dont like when someone does this because it shows they do not pay attention to detail and a job as a lawyer is a very detail oriented job, least that is what was said to me at a forum last year. Good luck, you may be able to stop LSAC from transmitting it till you make the correction.

clhurley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 04:34:24 PM »
yuck yuck yuck. on the bright side, michigan is one of my top two schools and the other one i haven't sent in yet, so... hopefully i'll just get a full ride to mich and i'll get naked and paint myself blue and maize, etc etc.

i am, however, sending out nice emails to admissions people telling them my shoddy judgment and my shoddy internet screwed up (which is very true.. lsac only works for me in paris 1 out of every 15 tries.. and trying to add documents was a huge pain. lame internet!) and to hopefully update my application. since i'm applying very early and sending out a change early, before anyone's really reviewing, it.. might.. be ok? i only care about one school to which i did that anyway, but what a horrible feeling!
i'm currently abroad in paris, france. poor me. but it changes things.
lsat = 168; gpa = 3.8

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 04:54:23 PM »
yuck yuck yuck. on the bright side, michigan is one of my top two schools and the other one i haven't sent in yet, so... hopefully i'll just get a full ride to mich and i'll get naked and paint myself blue and maize, etc etc.

Pictures please. You knew that was coming

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 06:28:25 PM »
If I were you, I would actually send an addendum to Michigan explaining the situation, but make it seem like you did it intentionally. I think it will score you some points.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 06:55:58 PM »
If I were you, I would actually send an addendum to Michigan explaining the situation, but make it seem like you did it intentionally. I think it will score you some points.

haha brilliance

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 07:50:59 PM »

i am, however, sending out nice emails to admissions people telling them my shoddy judgment and my shoddy internet screwed up (which is very true.. lsac only works for me in paris 1 out of every 15 tries.. and trying to add documents was a huge pain. lame internet!) and to hopefully update my application. since i'm applying very early and sending out a change early, before anyone's really reviewing, it.. might.. be ok? i only care about one school to which i did that anyway, but what a horrible feeling!

classic.