Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer employment prospects for 44 year old law sudent  (Read 1532 times)

TSWSBTD

• View Profile
Summer employment prospects for 44 year old law sudent
« on: October 01, 2008, 11:30:56 AM »
Though I am applying for Fall 2009, I am posting my question to this particular discussion group hoping 2L's would have direct or observed experiences of their classmates to share. I am a 41 year old black male(single) with a 170 LSAT and 18-plus years of corporate finance, private equity and hedge fund experience. Additionally, I have an MBA from a Top 10 business program. Considering my undergraduate GPA is almost as old as my fellow applicants, it's 3.14(LSDAS).

I am applying to T14 schools, but employment prospects with BIGLAW are a concern. Currently, I am considering government employment with the SEC as being a primary objective. Not wanting to close out options, any candid, anecdotal insights into how BIGLAW may view my age is appreciated. 

As far as hours, my hours now are 16 hr days; thus not a problem. For the record as well, I in no way look my age (64 ounces of fresh juice a day does wonders).

Thanks in advance

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Summer employment prospects for 44 year old law sudent
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 11:52:49 AM »
My .02 is that you may face some age discrimination, but that will likely be balanced out by your URM status.

Many companies are starting to put a diversity requirement on the firms they hire, so it can be a big boost in Biglaw hiring. You might have a shot at biglaw 1L summer employment assuming you make it in to a T14 program.

At the same time, you do have to realize that you will jumping down to the very bottom of the totem pole as a fresh biglaw associate. That might be tough to do for someone who already accomplished.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

TSWSBTD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 12:12:26 PM »
Thanks for the response.

From what I have read, URM status is losing it's cache. That being said, I am confident during the interview process, I will overcome the perception I would not want to drop to bottom of the totem pole.

I see you are a Georgetown 2L. That's my #1 choice.

How is the search going so far?

TSWSBTD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 12:23:20 PM »
Neal,

Ignore my question regarding how the search is going. I read your post under "GULC taking questions..."

TSWSBTD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 12:35:26 PM »
Thanks yellow,

Of your 3 recommended no-no's. I control the first 2. On the third(intimidating), that's usually an insecurity issue on the recipient. I agree people skills and losing bad habits are key. I have a handle on both.

Thanks again.

TSWSBTD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 12:57:56 PM »
Yellow,

That's great advice. I want to cast as wide a net as possible. The SEC job search is plan B. I'd rather not be forced to specify an interest. I am concerned, since my background is investment management and corporate finance, I may be pigeon-holed.

Thanks!

Hey Now

• Sr. Citizen
  • This Is Why I'm Hot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 04:15:01 PM »
Thanks for the response.

From what I have read, URM status is losing it's cache. That being said, I am confident during the interview process, I will overcome the perception I would not want to drop to bottom of the totem pole.

I see you are a Georgetown 2L. That's my #1 choice.

How is the search going so far?

In my experience this is tougher than it sounds.  I felt like a lot of times interviewers ignored what I said and stuck with their preconceptions (particularly with my interest in the DC area).  So don't be surprised if you say you're fine starting anew, and the interviewer doesn't credit your response.  Too many lawyers think what they want to think and don't listen during interviews.

Anyway, depending on what your prior experience entailed, you'd have a lot to offer a firm.  You will also need a compelling reason for switching careers at this point in your life, so that they feel you're committed to sticking with them for a number of years.
Law School Yeah

TSWSBTD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 04:21:57 PM »
HeyNow,

Are you over 40 as well.

I went to business school at 21 and had planned to enroll in law school 3 years out of business school; but marriage and divorce intervened. I decided I would wait until my daughter was 18 before I went back to plan A(law school). I begrudgingly pursued investment management to stay close to my daughter and not incur the cost of my education until she was an adult.

Thanks again for the candor. Are you enrolled in a T14 school?