Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: This could be devastating..  (Read 3214 times)

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
This could be devastating..
« on: September 30, 2008, 06:54:06 PM »
As many of you may know, I'm living overseas right now, in New Zealand. As probably none of you know, I am an unbelievably huge Chicago Cubs fan. The playoffs are starting wednesday night, and I realized that the online feed I bought for the regular season to watch games live doesn't work anymore. I also just found out that ESPN, which has an American sports station here, doesn't have the contract to broadcast any playoff games overseas, or, if it does, has decided that the Champions League is more important.

I seriously do not know what to do. The game cannot be watched on television or on the internet, although for a fee I can listen to the game on the radio live and watch the game an hour after it ends. This is probably the best chance my team has had to win the world series in 100 years, and to miss it would be horrible. Anyone have ideas???????????????

TimMitchell

Re: This could be devastating..
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 07:18:30 PM »
Due to the difference in time zones if you watch the game an hour after it ends you will actually be watching it an hour before the game actually started! You should be proud that you'll be seeing the Cubs get swept an hour before anyone else!

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 07:32:52 PM »
Due to the difference in time zones if you watch the game an hour after it ends you will actually be watching it an hour before the game actually started! You should be proud that you'll be seeing the Cubs get swept an hour before anyone else!

First off, Tim, I don't appreciate your joviality about this issue. It is not funny. Second, there is currently an 18 hour time difference between me and Chicago, so although the game is scheduled at 6 30 CT on Wednesday, I would actually watch it at 12 30 pm NZT on Thursday. The game takes 3 hours, plus 1 hour for them putting it online. I would officially watch 22 hours after the game occurred, even though NZ is ahead of Chicago. That's weird to think about.

But third, and most importantly, the Cubs won't get swept. At least I hope not.

Fourth, to watch the game, I would have to click on the game link on mlb.com, which would obviously have a score posted somewhere near it, and that would be almost impossible to avoid seeing. I think my only option is to buy this damn package online, then get one of my friends who doesn't care about baseball to open the game up, and then have me sit down after the replay has started, which is a huge hassle, and in all likelihood one of my dickhead friends here would just tell me the score and think it was funny, after which I would kill him.

AAAAAAAAA

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 07:56:32 PM »
Please, really, the Cubs getting swept by the DODGERS?! That's a lovely fairy-tale world you're living in, Tim. :)

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:01:07 PM »
the curse of the goat has not been exorcised.

I agree, but it definitely isn't going to be the Dodgers who take the Cubs out. (It will be the Angels, Rays or BoSox, depending on who makes the WS)

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:14:25 PM »
In all honesty, the playoffs are a complete crapshoot. Any team can get hot at the right time and beat anyone. If we wanted the best team to win, it would be the cubs/angels right now in the world series. But we want entertainment, so this is the system we have. And no one can pretend to predict what will happen. But my problem is with watching what will happen

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 08:32:13 PM »
Figured it out. Cost me 25 damn dollars but worth it.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:48:28 PM »
I never met a man that wanted to see the Cubs break his heart so much on a live feed.

TITCR, lol

TimMitchell

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 09:09:45 PM »
I'm just kidding, its just my team needs some post season wins, too. Although, at least it hasn't been 100 years since my team won the World Series...

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 09:19:28 PM »
I'm just kidding, its just my team needs some post season wins, too. Although, at least it hasn't been 100 years since my team won the World Series...

I heard CC is starting games 1,2,4,and 5 for the Brewers.