Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Logic Games "learnable"???  (Read 1943 times)

katem

• View Profile
Logic Games "learnable"???
« on: September 29, 2008, 10:50:58 PM »
Hi,

At this point, 5 days before the test this is more just frustration speaking than anything, but I could still appreciate some advice for the future (I can smell a December re-take already).

Here's the situation: after about 6 weeks of studying, going through the LG Bible a couple of times and after doing about 20 PTs, I have been scoring under 5 points on the LG section...! Even though most of my study was geared towards the LGs.

Now, I did take the LSAT a year ago, after hardly any preparation, and against better judgement, as I already had the problem with the LG section. I scored 150 last year and "managed" to get a whole 10 points on the LG section due to the miraculous gift of two sequencing games (arguably the easiest of the lot).

Since I do not see any improvement at all, my question is: what would you do in preparation for the December test if you were me? Or should I even try to improve still. I really have felt no difference at all so far. Basically when I turn the page and see the text of the games, I freeze and that's it. I wonder what people mean when they say the LG section is the most "learnable" - really. Maybe it's just that the LG chip is missing from my brain??? (Please note that the LGs have been my long-time enemy as when I took the GRE many years ago, they were still part of it and I did very poorly on that section as well.)

LSATstruggle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Logic Games "learnable"???
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:12:56 PM »
I was in  the same situation. I just started understading logic games. I am taking the test in   5 days also.  I use to stink at them.

The key is doing the same game 4 times. Then you will start to see deductions  quickly because you repeating the same thing.

The reptition forces you to find deductions that you did not see the first time.

Then you can apply it to other games. But the games from the 90s are still impossible for me.  So i need luck on the test saturday that we get a fair games section.

I use to miss about 15 out of the 23. Now i usually get 19-21 right out of 23.

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 01:42:41 AM »
Maybe your study methods aren't effective. I was slow on games, which was by far my worst section when I took my diagnostic, but after 3 months of studying I usually finish 15 minutes early with all of my answers correct. If you are only getting 5 questions right per LG section, you should seriously consider changing your test date to December, because you have a ton of room for improvement and already know you're not going to do well even if you ace LR and RC.

How have you been studying? It won't help to do PTs unless you understand how to approach each section. You are obviously not internalizing what you learn from the LGB, which is just useless, jargony information if you are unable to understand or apply it.

Obviously, the answer to your question "should I even try to improve still?" is "yes, unless you want another 150."

katem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 02:11:12 AM »
Thank you for responding.

As for how I have been studying this year: I read the entire LGB and did all the drills and attempted all the games. Then I read the game explanations and kept doing the same games until I was able to do them fairly quickly. The funny thing is during the first round I found the "pattern" games and some other odd games the easiest... for whaterver reason. The grouping ones were the hardest for me.

Then I moved on to the PTs and when I was doing the games untimed I usually managed to get two games per section right. I sometimes went back to the LGB at this stage.

However, when I started doing the timed PTs, it all just went away, as for the games. I was stuck, I would literally stare at the games for 35 minutes with my heart palpitating, unable to move beyond the diagram. I HATE THEM. One of the PTs I did is the actual test I took last year and I was unable to do any of the games there even though I had gotten two of them right when taking the actual LSAT.

As for your suggestion of rescheduling for December, of course I have been thinking about it. In my situation it's between applying in November with a poor LSAT score or applying in January when it's pretty much too late for Fall 2009 anyway. A lose-lose situation! I'm thinking I might as well take the chance now in October. I didn't mention it before but I'm in my mid 30s and I really feel I cannot afford to postopone my application by another year.

Right now I think I'll spend the remaining 4 days just working on the games, take one simulated exam the day before the actual LSAT and I'll see how it goes on the day of.

abc45, can you share how you worked to improve your performance on the Games? It blows my mind that someone can actualy finish the section with 15 minutes to spare.

senseless

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 03:04:52 AM »
I would literally stare at the games for 35 minutes with my heart palpitating, unable to move beyond the diagram. I HATE THEM

I would suggest hiring a private tutor to help you with the Logic Games. I'm confident you can increase your score.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 10:13:45 AM »
Work through the bible one more time, along with some more prep tests untimed. 

Then, GRADUALLY increase your speed on game.  Don't just jump right to timed exams.  Start out with however long it takes you untimed, and then gradually increase in 5 minute increments for each game section.

You'll probably just want to hit 3 (or maybe 2) games on the real thing, so you have more time to spend on each game.

bgd736k2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 07:03:45 PM »
Do any of you know whether or not Kaplan Logic GAmes workbook(2nd edition) have authentic lsat games in them? I would really like to know.

AliceAndrews

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 07:30:59 PM »
Also try to have a positive attitude...that goes a long way.

For what it's worth, my score was 13/23 on my diagnostic.  And one day the games just clicked. I got to the point that I could finish sections 5-10 minutes early.  Keep practicing - it will come.
Applying for Fall 2008 || LSN

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 07:53:35 PM »
By all accounts, logic games are the most able to be learned of all LSAT sections.  They are very formulaic, and the trick is recognizing which formula is being used for any given question.

I sucked at them at first, and now, I kind of miss them.

Hang in there!  You'll be fine.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 02:08:16 AM »
By all accounts, logic games are the most able to be learned of all LSAT sections.  They are very formulaic, and the trick is recognizing which formula is being used for any given question.

I sucked at them at first, and now, I kind of miss them.

Hang in there!  You'll be fine.

I'm the same way- I have a soft spot in my heart for them. Have you ever tried buying one of those logic books from the magazine racks. They have similar problems but are incredibly hard. In fact, those are a great way to practice if you haven't taken the LSAT yet and want to increase your ability to make logical deductions based on information given.