Law School Discussion

Northwestern alumni interview

meggo

• View Profile
Re: Northwestern alumni interview
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 03:29:40 PM »
Excellent, I wanted to book this awhile ago but was busy prepping for the LSAT and then needed to check out the application/complete thing.

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 10:39:05 PM »
I had my interview today and I had a totally different experience from the previous poster.  My interviewer mentioned that NU is pretty specific about 1) the questions they'd like interviewers to ask, and 2) adhering to a strict 30 minute time limit.  The interview did consist of some of the canned questions (discuss leadership abilities/experience, why Northwestern, where else are you applying, etc), but it was mostly conversational.

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 11:01:03 AM »
I've got an interview coming up in a week and a half. A suit is, of course, required, right? Its not a more casual affair?

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 11:18:53 AM »
I just got my interview assignment today.  I'm worried because I would really like to go to Northwestern but I don't even have an LSAT score yet, and my thoughts after the test don't bode well for how I actually did.  I don't want to waste my or the interviewer's time.  :-\

I have work experience but not post-graduation.  I transferred during undergrad and took a year and half off.  I worked during that time and have retained that job while completing my degree.  Its also not a glamorous job by far, but it has been consistent and I will have 5 years here by the time I enroll.  I'm hoping it works for their work experience requirement.

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 11:23:17 AM »
I've got an interview coming up in a week and a half. A suit is, of course, required, right? Its not a more casual affair?

I wore a nice skirt and button-down shirt for mine.  I don't think my interviewer was in a suit either.  This can vary depending on who/where your interview/er is, so it can't hurt to send an email to clarify.

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 12:50:13 PM »

I wore a nice skirt and button-down shirt for mine.  I don't think my interviewer was in a suit either.  This can vary depending on who/where your interview/er is, so it can't hurt to send an email to clarify.

Dude...you don't ask an interviewer what to wear. Just wear a suit. If you're overdressed, it's not a big deal. I would laugh if someone asked me what to wear.

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 12:56:59 PM »

Dude...you don't ask an interviewer what to wear. Just wear a suit. If you're overdressed, it's not a big deal. I would laugh if someone asked me what to wear.

Unfortunately....titcr

I know that most here are students straight from u-grad who haven't had much business experience but I'm always amazed at the sheer amount of questions about what to wear to an interview.  Um...its an INTERVIEW...whether its for a job or a school...INTERVIEW usually conjures up thoughts of professional business attire.  Whether that be a suit or nice button down and slacks for guys, or a suit or nice blouse and skirt for ladies, people should generally know what kind of clothing to wear for an interview, use your best judgment for which outfit to choose. Even in high school when people went to interview for retail jobs, they didn't ask what to wear.  I guess I would just expect more from a bunch of people hell bent on breaking into the top of the professional world *shrug*

meggo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 02:27:48 PM »
I thought bigger,stronger was referring to email to clarify the circumstances of the interview (ie in their office, at a coffeeshop or something?). The best thing I can suggest, other than overdressing, is to dress in layers that allow you to dress down. ie if you are a man, wear a suit, tie and proper shoes and then if it's more casual than you can easily take off your jacket/tie if necessary. Obviously, if you meet the interviewer and they are dressed in jeans you don't have to go 'oh! well I'll take off my tie then!' but you can easily take off your jacket.

I'm also nervous about going into the interview with a subpar LSAT score, without knowing what my next one will be (and could be as low) and of course I don't want to waste anyone's time, but meh, I'd rather overprepare and have that done and squared away than wait it out, and then try and then have my application be delayed. I'm sure the interviewers understand this.

Magnifique - I'm in the same position. I took two years off in the middle of university to work abroad and held a proper full time job during this period, but obviously, it's not post-grad work. However, it is still professional full time work experience (for me, in the financial/insurance sector) so I believe I still have a lot of the same skills. I'm sure you do too  :)

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 03:00:58 PM »
I wore a blouse, dress pants, and heels to the interview.  The interview was at the alumnus's office.  Part of the reason was comfort level.  I'm much more comfortable not wearing a suit jacket and that comfort level allowed me to be more myself and give a more proper interview.  Also, we're in LA, so people in general tend to be more casual anyway.  My interviewer wasn't wearing a full suit either.

As for LSAT scores, my interviewer simply said that he assumed that my LSAT score was within Northwestern's range and didn't ask me about any specifics.  Your interviewer may not ask you specifics about your score either.

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 04:47:26 PM »
I thought bigger,stronger was referring to email to clarify the circumstances of the interview (ie in their office, at a coffeeshop or something?). The best thing I can suggest, other than overdressing, is to dress in layers that allow you to dress down. ie if you are a man, wear a suit, tie and proper shoes and then if it's more casual than you can easily take off your jacket/tie if necessary. Obviously, if you meet the interviewer and they are dressed in jeans you don't have to go 'oh! well I'll take off my tie then!' but you can easily take off your jacket.

I'm also nervous about going into the interview with a subpar LSAT score, without knowing what my next one will be (and could be as low) and of course I don't want to waste anyone's time, but meh, I'd rather overprepare and have that done and squared away than wait it out, and then try and then have my application be delayed. I'm sure the interviewers understand this.

Magnifique - I'm in the same position. I took two years off in the middle of university to work abroad and held a proper full time job during this period, but obviously, it's not post-grad work. However, it is still professional full time work experience (for me, in the financial/insurance sector) so I believe I still have a lot of the same skills. I'm sure you do too  :)

Thanks meggo.  Here's hoping we both do well.  :)