Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn Law 1L(s) taking questions!  (Read 6097 times)

TimMitchell

Re: Penn Law 1L(s) taking questions!
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 10:23:37 PM »
1. Are any of you planning on going for the JD/MBA or Wharton Certificate, or know people that are? What are your experiences with it?

2. Where do most students live? Does the school offer graduate housing/what is it like?

3. For Philly transplants, what are your first impressions of the city? Better/worse than you expected?

4. I'm considering applying ED to Penn, do you have any information of how this affect need-based scholarships, how much of a bump it gets you or any other relevant information I wouldn't find on LSN?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. One thing I'll suggest to you Penn LSDers, why not come up with a secret Penn LSD code-phrase to let them know your a member and see if they are? I'd suggest something like: "Do you prefer Geno's or Pat's, also do you post anonymously or Law School Discussion.com?", that way they won't suspect you and the question won't seem abnormal  ;).

TimMitchell

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 10:34:23 PM »
1. Are any of you planning on going for the JD/MBA or Wharton Certificate, or know people that are? What are your experiences with it?

2. Where do most students live? Does the school offer graduate housing/what is it like?

3. For Philly transplants, what are your first impressions of the city? Better/worse than you expected?

4. I'm considering applying ED to Penn, do you have any information of how this affect need-based scholarships, how much of a bump it gets you or any other relevant information I wouldn't find on LSN?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later. One thing I'll suggest to you Penn LSDers, why not come up with a secret Penn LSD code-phrase to let them know your a member and see if they are? I'd suggest something like: "Do you prefer Geno's or Pat's, also do you post anonymously or Law School Discussion.com?", that way they won't suspect you and the question won't seem abnormal  ;).

1. Me.  'Cept I'm only in half of the program (Wharton), applying to the law half.  So, as of yet, I can only give you the biz perspective. :)

I'd appreciate anything you'd be willing to say. I'm fairly confident I'll be able to get into Penn if all goes well Saturday, but I'm more worried about getting into Wharton. I think I can ace the GMAT and my UGPA isn't bad (3.6), also I have been working for the past 5 years full time... what do you think? I don't think I'll be able to take the GMAT in time so I'll have to apply when I start as a 1L, is that better/worse?

hopkins

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 11:00:16 PM »
I'm planning to do the Wharton Certificate, but don't have WE so won't be applying to the JD/MBA.  Honestly, as a 1L, I don't feel like I have much to add in terms of experience with it.  Maybe one of the others or one of the PennLSD 2Ls and 3Ls can chime in here!

random*, I wouldn't let the lack of WE stop you if the program is something you really want to do.  The '10 class has an 18 year old MBA student.

P.S. Tim, I sent you a PM (with a book written in it, practically), but I'm not sure it went through; let me know if not.  I accidently sent it before I finished looking over it, so apologies if the writing is somewhat all over the place.

Outlaw22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 11:23:07 PM »
I know of 2 people in my section applying to the JD/MBA program. Both are applying this fall to Wharton so they'll start as 2Ls. I think that's the way to go. I don't see how someone could start the program as a 1L anyway, but I really don't know anything about it

Mostly Center City & University City/West Philly. When I first visited Penn, I wanted to live in West Philly but there seemed to be a huge push for Center City so that's where I ended up. I'm extremely happy with where I live - great building, 15 minute walk to school- but I have to say I think West Philly is equally as great. If you do end up coming here you should look at both

Love Philly. Very good chance I'll stay here.

I applied ED. It won't affect your need-based scholarship at all. If you have numbers for a merit-based scholarship or if you're applying for the Toll Public Interest Scholarship, ED could be (and probably is) a disadvantage. If that's not the case, you may want to really consider ED. Lots of people are going to be applying to grad/law school b/c of the economy and the more applicants, the more competitive it tends to be

Penn Law Class of 2011

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 11:06:52 PM »
nice to see the 1Ls taking over for me and TeamPam on here :)

I know most of the 1Ls who post on here, and they aren't just blowing smoke.  it really is that nice of a place to be :D

also, in terms of outing ourselves to others re: the LSD thing, i've found it somehow ends up getting out who is on here.  I was surprised to find out who outlaw was though, as that individual may attest :P.  i tend to out myself, only because its widely known that i'm the only 2L who can be seen wearing birkenstocks year round (yes, even with socks in the winter...go ahead and laugh).  if you see me around, come say hi

Outlaw22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 11:25:26 PM »
nice to see the 1Ls taking over for me and TeamPam on here :)

I know most of the 1Ls who post on here, and they aren't just blowing smoke.  it really is that nice of a place to be :D

also, in terms of outing ourselves to others re: the LSD thing, i've found it somehow ends up getting out who is on here.  I was surprised to find out who outlaw was though, as that individual may attest :P.  i tend to out myself, only because its widely known that i'm the only 2L who can be seen wearing birkenstocks year round (yes, even with socks in the winter...go ahead and laugh).  if you see me around, come say hi

despite these birkenstocks with socks that I am yet to experience....m1 is hot. 
Penn Law Class of 2011

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 08:27:15 PM »
 :-*

amise

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 02:14:56 PM »
I'm glad to see that so many people on here love Penn! I'm a Penn undergrad and I can't think of anywhere I'd rather go to law school than Penn.

I feel like there is often an unnecessary amount of Penn bashing as well as Philadelphia bashing (I happen to think Philly is a great city).

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2008, 07:21:30 PM »
How many people commute/live on or near campus? Do commuters (30min+) have a harder time finding study groups?

Terrible Ivan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2008, 09:40:35 PM »
How many people commute/live on or near campus? Do commuters (30min+) have a harder time finding study groups?

I know several, self included, who live that far out or more. Study-group ability seems to have more to do with what kind of schedule folks want to keep and finding a group that meets on a weekday and not a weekend. Just find a group doing time when you'd otherwise be on campus.

An ancillary benefit - my time in and out on the regional rails is not terrible compared to the time others might take walking from center city, and it gives me great study time that would otherwise be spent in the library.

Ivan