Law School Discussion

Help with LR! PT 43 - Sect 3 - Question 9

Help with LR! PT 43 - Sect 3 - Question 9
« on: September 29, 2008, 04:00:14 PM »
After all of my charting and diagramming, I got D instead of A (A is the right answer) and I've spent an hour staring at it trying to figure out why. Please help.  >:(

Re: Help with LR! PT 43 - Sect 3 - Question 9
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 04:21:11 PM »
Here is the link:

All effective teachers are good communicators.

Most effective teachers are eccentric (hence, Some effective teachers are eccentric)

Eccentric <--S--> Effective teachers --> Good communicators

which leads to..

Eccentric <--S--> Good Communicators

Therefore, Some good communicators are eccentric.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 09:13:14 PM »
Pretend as if there is one group of 20 effective teachers. Picture the group in your mind if possible.

Within that group, all 20 will be good communicators.

Within that same group, most of the 20 will be eccentric.  You can assign a number here as well, though defining most is a bit difficult, but we can say 17 of the 20 teachers will be eccentric. The number isn't very important, as long as you realize that some of the effective teachers (all of whom are good communicators) are eccentric.

The 17 effective teachers who are eccentric must also be good communicators, because the 17 who are eccentric were among the original 20 who are good communicators.

So, because all the teachers are good communicators, and some of those same teachers are eccentric, it must be true based on the statements as we've been given that some good communicators are eccentric. In our particular case, 17 teachers who are good communicators must also be eccentric.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 09:56:35 AM »
Very true, good point.