Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Illinois 1L taking questions  (Read 2711 times)

oskee

• View Profile
Re: Illinois 1L taking questions
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 10:05:38 PM »
Ann Arbor is a whore.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 11:46:54 PM »

augusta

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 02:28:21 PM »
Do you know anything about UIUC's placement outside of the Chicago/Midwest area?
3.67/Oct. LSAT

oskee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 03:59:53 PM »
My peer advisor is going to NYC at Cravath.  She said that two of her friends were going to DC, DLA and Covington.  I know that they were all in the top 20% of the class.  (at least that is what my peer advisor said)  From what we have been told about 60% of the class goes to Chicago and the rest go all over.  I was looking at the OCI list of employers and it seemed to be about 70% Chicago and 30% other major markets.  I know that they also do a lot of job fair type things in other cities.  Just a lowly 1L so I don't know first hand yet.  I want to go back to California and I am not too worried about it. (Yet!)

augusta

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 05:22:13 PM »
Thanks!
3.67/Oct. LSAT

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 09:03:12 PM »
What's your favorite bar?

Kams, Cly, station, fubar, brothers, firehaus, white ho, co's?

Gully's was closed by the time you got there.  f-ing, tragedy.

That all depends on the night.

-Kams is fantastic for the quintessential college town dive bar experience, for country night, and after an Illini win

-Brothers is a solid pick for good music and kind of a "scene" (though fubar has now probably taken over that genre)

-White Ho is great for karaoke night, or some of the bands they have, and cheese fries.  And the beer garden is f-ing awesome.

-CO's is great for...tuesday nights (provided they're still doing icebombs)

-Murphy's is cool if you're a strange grad student with facial hair, a ponytail, and a weird hat (or on Unofficial, but then every bar is a good bar)

-Legends is a good place to watch a game, and has pretty decent food - but not good for "going out" to.

-Clybourne is good if you like Corona on the cheap once a week, but is typically overrun by underclassmen

-Firehaus has good food as well, and fishbowls are not to be missed.  Pretty chill outdoor area in back too

-Joe's is only good if you like shady people dancing on stripped poles in the dimly-lit back room

-Station is not good, period.

-Gully's was pure trash, hence great fun.

Now if you really want a Champaign experience, go to the Tumble Inn (and stumble out).  Either that, or the Ice House.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 09:44:35 PM »
Station is full of douchebags and slutty girls who think that they're hot, but really aren't.  At least they're slutty though...maybe I just had too many bad experiences my freshman year there, but I never stepped foot in there my last 3 years.

Clybourne isn't actually closed, I have heard that it's being remodeled.  White Ho actually closed for a while, but then someone bought it and re-opened, thank god.  That beer garden would be a tremendous loss to the campus.

oskee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 10:41:25 PM »
Wow.  No one I know goes to any of those places. Maybe Brothers, but not really.  Law students tend to hang out in downtown Champaign.  Guido's, Boltini, Cowboy Monkey, Blind Pig.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 10:53:33 PM »
Wow.  No one I know goes to any of those places. Maybe Brothers, but not really.  Law students tend to hang out in downtown Champaign.  Guido's, Boltini, Cowboy Monkey, Blind Pig.

Not surprising, though I suggest you go "undergrad-ing" once in a while - I think you'll get a kick out of it.

I really liked Cowboy Monkey, especially since they brought in some great musical acts.  Blind Pig has a great drink menu, but the crowd can be pretty weird, and it gets HOT in there sometimes.  Guido's was fun the one time I was there, and I've never been to Boltini - but I hear great things about the drinks there.

Best of all, no matter where you go in Champaign, drinking is real damn cheap.

GCoop.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
GO BLUE!