Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: i really need help  (Read 517 times)

vandyprincess

• View Profile
i really need help
« on: September 29, 2008, 04:50:48 AM »
so i was thinking about what to write for "why law school" and planned to talk about my plans to work in other countries specifically africa and southeast asia (providing humanity service via legal aid after law school which is what i absolutely would looveee to do) but i am afraid that the top 20 law schools won't admit me because i won't end up serving the american community. is this a bad idea? can they just reject me because i don't want to end up prepping paper in a private firm in NY?

should i just write about a safe subject... like how i LOVE the law since i was a child...

pre_JD_2be

• PM me! I'll read your PS.
    • View Profile
Re: i really need help
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:16:26 AM »
law schools know that most students have no idea what their precise goals are in applying to law school. This question ferrets out those who, for example, have a PhD in Biochem and are absolutely going into patent law.

Your desire to work in other countries will work just fine for schools with strong concentrations in international law. What I would say is this: a personal statement is not a contract. You can therefore write about what your would do with your law degree, in the best of all possible worlds, if you had your druthers.

What you would do best to stay away from is: A) Vague generalities (Because the study of law will make me a better human being!) and B) Wild guesses (I think I might want to do entertainment law! Or, maybe, animal rights! Oooh, or maybe IP, because I kinda like computers and books!).

Write what is true for you, without being to syrupy, and you should be fine. Good luck!