Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does anyone else struggles with English ?  (Read 1641 times)

lipslikesugar

• View Profile
Does anyone else struggles with English ?
« on: September 28, 2008, 03:07:22 PM »
Or it is just me?
 ??? ::)

I live in U.S. for only 6 years. Every time  I have to write an assignment I get nervous. What about you guys?

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone else struggles with English ?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 01:07:50 AM »
Where are you from originally?

lipslikesugar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:41:06 PM »
Argentina, but I was raised in Brazil.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 01:30:05 PM »
You will write what you "hear" in your head, so I think you may just need more practice using and hearing the language yourself.  Part of the complication is that you are probably having to think about sophisticated legal concepts in English, and I imagine that this is challenging if you've only recently learned the language.  I encourage you to talk to the people at your law school (maybe an advisor for LL.M. students if you aren't an LL.M b/c they're probably used to helping foreign attorneys with their English language skills) to see what support there may be for you.

As far as general language practice -- Have you considered taking a formal ESL course (but maybe an intermediate or advanced one) to help you become even more confident in your English skills?  Also, if there is a local Spanish/Portuguese cultural group in your area they may have an "intercambio" program that would pair you with an English-speaker trying to learn your language.  You all could help one another.  Finally, what I find helps me maintain my foreign language skills is listening to foreign language newscasts (notice I didn't say "watching" them b/c I find that too distracting.  Instead, I'll just turn it on usually, divert my eyes, and concentrate on really catching the words I'm hearing) and reading *aloud* the free foreign language newspapers you can pick up around town.  I find that the language by print or television journalists/reporters tends to the standard usage and, thus, easier to understand than the slang spoken on the street.  I still think it's helpful to make the effort with these sources though just to train your ear to hear how native speakers talk and write.

Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 01:46:33 PM »
Tell everyone you talk to that you don't mind being corrected (respectfully of course).  I tell my Spanish-speaking friends to correct me if I choose the wrong words or construct awkward sentences.  They also help with idioms. 

Let people know you don't mind being corrected.  IMO it is the only way to really polish off those last rough edges.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.