Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1l class sizes  (Read 3546 times)

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
1l class sizes
« on: September 28, 2008, 03:56:50 AM »
Does anyone have a list of the 2008-2009 1L class sizes for each school? I realized that I was applying to schools and I didn't even know the actual amount of people they typically started with. All I can find is some basic info on LSAC, but if anyone knows some numbers, post please.

Thanks

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: 1l class sizes
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 09:57:29 AM »
So, I made a spreadsheet of all the schools I'm considering with some info that's important to me, and I have the total law school size and the 1L section size (the # of people in your 1L classes).  Wow. My lameness surprises even me sometimes.  I got the info from LSAC.  I can send it to you if you want since we have a decent overlap in schools. 
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 05:54:37 PM »
So, I made a spreadsheet of all the schools I'm considering with some info that's important to me, and I have the total law school size and the 1L section size (the # of people in your 1L classes).  Wow. My lameness surprises even me sometimes.  I got the info from LSAC.  I can send it to you if you want since we have a decent overlap in schools. 

yeah if you could pm it to me or whatever, that'd be great. And I'm actually more lame for wanting the information but being too lazy to actually find it.

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 06:06:35 PM »
Does anyone have a list of the 2008-2009 1L class sizes for each school? I realized that I was applying to schools and I didn't even know the actual amount of people they typically started with. All I can find is some basic info on LSAC, but if anyone knows some numbers, post please.

Thanks

The LSAC data sheets tell you (indirectly) through the demo data.  You might have to do some division.

They also give you the typical 1L section size.  This is probably more important than the overall class size for day-to-day things, as your section mates are the people you'll interact with most and know best. 

I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 06:19:22 PM »
Is there really a significant variation in section sizes from school to school?  I assumed every school would have sections of appx. 60-75 students, with schools varying only in the number of sections needed to accommodate their incoming classes.  Are there schools with sections significantly below or above this number?  I've never heard of section sizes varying b/t institutions to any significant extent, but I suppose it's a possibility.   ???
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 06:21:32 PM »
Is there really a significant variation in section sizes from school to school?  I assumed every school would have sections of appx. 60-75 students, with schools varying only in the number of sections needed to accommodate their incoming classes.  Are there schools with sections significantly below or above this number?  I've never heard of section sizes varying b/t institutions to any significant extent, but I suppose it's a possibility.   ???

You're probably right.

I don't understand the desire some people have for a small overall class.  IMO, the more people there are, the more likely I am to meet people I like.  This is especially powerful if the actual section sizes remain the same... i'll know those people well, yet still have the opportunity to meet people like me outside my section.

::shrug::
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »
officialguide.lsac.org. EOD.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 01:03:50 AM »

Cornell has sections of ~30-35

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 01:08:17 AM »
Cornell has sections of ~30-35

Is that your first year section, as a whole, or your first year section for a particular class (such as LWR)?

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011