Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Importance of the very most recent preptests?  (Read 2065 times)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Importance of the very most recent preptests?
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »
LOL June is not super representative of most scales.  That was the test administration I had the misfortune of taking.  It was a killer.  Seriously, you need to get 92 right to get a 170?  Is that ludicrous to anyone else?
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

kmart1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 08:09:44 PM »
It's definitely unusually high, but only by a point or two.  This link can give you an idea of how the scales have changed over the years:

http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/correct_targeted.htm

June 2007 has the second toughest scale in the last 11 years, second only to December 2005, in which a 93(!) was required for a 170.  Assuming it's true that LSAC creates the scales before the test is administered and doesn't change them once the results are in, that means that LSAC considered the June 2007 test to be one of the easiest.

augusta

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 08:14:41 PM »
Then what's the story with the "removed from scoring" questions? I figured either there was something wrong with the question, and/or everyone who took that test got it wrong and they took it out. But if they scale it beforehand they wouldn't retract questions after the fact. Or maybe that's just an anomaly, and not the rule. ?
3.67/Oct. LSAT

kmart1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 08:23:58 PM »
Then what's the story with the "removed from scoring" questions? I figured either there was something wrong with the question, and/or everyone who took that test got it wrong and they took it out. But if they scale it beforehand they wouldn't retract questions after the fact. Or maybe that's just an anomaly, and not the rule. ?

I think the questions that are removed from scoring are those that are disputed by test takers, typically because the credited response is not the best response, or there is some other logical problem with the question.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 09:42:51 PM »
Yea, that helps tighten the curve up too.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 10:21:04 AM »
Would anyone recomend taking this test as the diagnostic vs using as PT?

No.

Diagnostics are dumb in general, in my opinion -- it's hard to get a sense of where you stand until you've spent some time understanding the exam in general, and your initial score can be very unrepresentative of your final score.  I therefore find taking a timed diagnostic unnecessarily limiting and discouraging from a pyschological perspective.

No sense wasting a recent exam as a diagnostic, especially if it's the only recent exam you're going to use.

nevdash

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - myxlastxbreath
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 01:53:33 PM »
LOL June is not super representative of most scales.  That was the test administration I had the misfortune of taking.  It was a killer.  Seriously, you need to get 92 right to get a 170?  Is that ludicrous to anyone else?

I took PT 50 yesterday where my 91 was a 168. There was definitely a, "...Really?" moment after scoring. It seemed like the test definitely didn't go as well as it could have, but it felt like at least a 170.
What's the deal with signatures?

Also, what's the deal with LSN?
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/nevdash/jd

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 02:12:14 PM »
Which administration was 50?  December '06?  I hate those 'really' moments.  I had a 'really' moment when seeing my email from the June '07 test.  It was actually more of a 'oh [f-bomb]!!!'.

nevdash

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - myxlastxbreath
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 02:32:43 PM »
Which administration was 50?  December '06?  I hate those 'really' moments.  I had a 'really' moment when seeing my email from the June '07 test.  It was actually more of a 'oh [f-bomb]!!!'.

Actually, I just looked in my book and it was PT 48, which was from '05. And don't worry, we're going to kill on Saturday. I predict much gleeful keyboard slamming when we get our e-mails this year.  ;)
What's the deal with signatures?

Also, what's the deal with LSN?
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/nevdash/jd

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 02:36:05 PM »
I like gleeful.  Gleeful will rock.