Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Received grade for 1st memo  (Read 3897 times)

jumpman23

• View Profile
    • Email
Received grade for 1st memo
« on: September 27, 2008, 11:26:18 AM »
I am a little disappointed in my first grade on my memo, a C+.  I spent a great deal of time on the paper, but professor has a particular style he wants us to follow, I guess I did not follow it stringently.   This first memo is only worth 20% of our grade and we have an opportunity for a rewrite. The rewrite is worth 15%.  Also, the second memo is worth 50%.    I guess it is not the end of the world, right? 
I am a little upset.

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Received grade for 1st memo
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 11:55:27 AM »
Nope, it's not. Work w/ the prof to improve, if you'd like. Do as you're told, and the grade will improve.

TheBreadWinner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 04:27:18 PM »
I had a similar experience on my first memo 1L year.  I ended up meeting with the prof. enough that I got a better idea of what he was looking for.  My 2nd memo was a big improvement and I ended up with a B for the semester.  It was a big relief after I tanked the first memo.  See if you can get some time with the professor, make sure you take notes of what he/she is looking for.  No reason to panic.  You'll turn it around. 
íMe cago en la leche!

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 05:46:39 PM »
LOL at graded legal writing and your inability to apply the IRAC method.
dont worry guys, i had lotsof drinks, and now i feel better. hth.

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 06:03:07 PM »
Many of the top legal writing schools, and those aspiring to be at the top, have graded papers.

Notice at your school you merely have pass/fail which if the OP was at your school he would have "passed."

I recieve my grade for my first memo on Wednesday.

High Life

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 08:12:04 PM »
LOL at graded legal writing and your inability to apply the IRAC method.

Only TTT have graded legal writing.

I am LOLing with you.

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 04:10:25 AM »
My school is ranked 10 in the nation by USNWR for legal writing and we have graded papers.

Why wouldn't it make sense to have papers graded? 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 11:03:35 AM »
My school just started grading legal writing, and I agree, it is a pretty tier three move.  1Ls are under way too much pressure as it is, there is no reason to add to that pressure by putting a grade on something they have typically never done before.  High pass/Pass/low pass creates enough of an incentive to do well.

And, if you did poorly on your first memo, read the professor's comments and figure out what resources are available to help you improve.  My school has a legal writing office where you can take your papers for feedback before submitting.  It is an invaluable resource and is the reason I ended up with a high pass despite my terrible grammar and fifth grade level writing.  Also, dont stress the grade too much.  It is your first law school grade, and it is in a skill set you have no experience in yet.  Just take it as a wakeup call that law school is probably going to be harder than you anticipated.  Bust your butt from here on out. 

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 03:23:39 PM »
LRW is arguably the most important class we have. As lawyers most of what we will do involves the skills we learn in LRW.

High Pass / Pass / Fail is somewhat similar to a graded system, because it provides an incentive to do well. The schools that are either pass / fail it would seem to provide little incentive to do more than get the 70 or even 60 depending on the school. 

t14troll

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 01:36:54 AM »
My school is ranked 10 in the nation by USNWR for legal writing and we have graded papers.

Why wouldn't it make sense to have papers graded? 

LOL at USNWR specialty rankings. I'm loling with high life.