Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Florida State 1L Taking Questions  (Read 4028 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Florida State 1L Taking Questions
« on: September 25, 2008, 01:47:30 AM »
This seems to be the popular thing to do as of late. Ask anything about Florida State or Tallahassee that you would like to know. If I don't know the answer, I'll either figure it out or find someone that does.

I'm probably going to bed in a few minutes, but I'll answer any questions as I can.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

TimMitchell

Re: Florida State 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 02:39:35 AM »
Why didn't you sign up for LSD Fantasy Football  >:(?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 04:14:18 PM »
Why didn't you sign up for LSD Fantasy Football  >:(?

I'm already in two other leagues. I did think about it, but just didn't have the time. Next year maybe.

j23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 12:18:14 AM »
How high/low is the cost of living in Tallahassee? How difficult is it to get internships in state government? Are apartments near the school affordable? Campus housing affordable?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 10:02:56 PM »
How high/low is the cost of living in Tallahassee? How difficult is it to get internships in state government? Are apartments near the school affordable? Campus housing affordable?

Cost of living is pretty good. Sales tax is around 7.5%, food and consumer goods seem about averaged priced, and the rent is pretty fair at most places. I'm sure that there are cheaper places to live in the South, but as state capitols of large states come and go, this seems like one of the better ones.

I can't personally tell you about internships as I am but a lowly 1L, but everything that I have seen and heard seems to indicate that being in the state capitol and about 3 blocks away from the capitol building will make life pretty easy when it comes internship hunting time. Ask again later.

On housing, on-campus hosing is very affordable (I'll be paying around $4,500 for the school year, or about $450/month) and includes all utilities and internet, though no cable or phone (both extra options priced at pretty standard rates). The housing itself is pretty good so far as on-campus housing goes, but it does leave a few things to be desired. If I had it all to do over again though, I would have came down a few months before school started and got an off-campus apartment. There are a ton of apartments right across the street from the law school that run around $500-600/month with some utilities included and wireless internet access available. It will cost a few hundred dollars more per month, but you save yourself a decent walk and get your own place (I have my own bedroom but have to share a bathroom with one other guy and a kitchen area with 3 guys, it's actually a lot like Air Force housing). Everyone I know that lives in the apartments by the law school is pretty happy with them. There are some other really nice apartments to the West of campus (the law school is on the extreme East side of campus), but I don't know much about them besides that they look really nice, are in a nice part of town with lots of businesses, the buses run by them every 20 minutes, and a lot of 2Ls and 3Ls that I know live in them despite their distance from the law school (at least a half hour walk, maybe more). If you want anything more specific or need me to look anything up, just ask.

Hope that helps.

j23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 10:38:30 PM »
Wow, thanks for the help. It really seems to be a great place to live, and I like the fact that it is near where the center of action is for state government/politics. I am really interested in both of those areas.

klmnumbers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 11:55:42 AM »
I went to FSU undergrad (music major, holla). I agree Tallahassee is a decent city to live in college-wise; lots of places to live that are relatively cheap, great bus lines to get you anywhere you need. My roommate did an internship with the state over the summer in Tallahassee, if you check the website (I think it's tal.gov or something to that effect), they have all the information you'd ever need.

Lots of great independently owned restaurants, bars, and whatnot. I really loved attending FSU as an undergrad, although I hated my department.

Ninja - which dorm are you living in? Ragan, McCollum? Sounds like one of those two! or the other one I can't remember that starts with an R.
LSN - even tho I have no numbers yet. There it is.

green918

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 11:07:09 AM »
I'll be applying in a couple of weeks, so here are some general questions.

What's the general attitude of the students? Do people get along for the most part and try to help each other or is it more like go to class and go home kind of thing?

How much time a week do you spend studying?I'm sure it's a lot, I'm just curious. Some people, in all levels of college, try to BS and pretend like they don't need to study much.

What's the financial aid situation like? I'm a FL resident, I have a 3.9. gpa, 159 June LSAT and just retested in October, hopefully with a higher score. I'm hoping to get some kind of money, even if it's not much.

On a social level, I am a little concerned about my age. I'll be 20 when I would start and turn 21 a couple of weeks later. Some people say it doesn't matter and others think you're crazy if you go to law school straight out of undergrad so I'm wondering your take on it at FSU.
Thanks!

Accepted: University of Florida, Florida State
Pending: UGA

tony_rocky_horror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 11:14:46 AM »
What are your thoughts on Scholly $

fall 2010
gpa 3.3 - accounting with honors
lsat - 160-165 - being conservative
lor - 1 prof and 2 attys - all are solid
cpa license
florida res

I know it depends on what happens this year but what
is your guess for 2010

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 11:46:53 AM »

Ninja - which dorm are you living in? Ragan, McCollum? Sounds like one of those two! or the other one I can't remember that starts with an R.

I live in Ragans. The other hall you're thinking of is Rogers. For anyone that's thinking about living in campus, Ragans is probably about as good as you're going to get. It's about a 15 minute walk straight East along the South edge of the campus. Rogers is about a 30 minute walk Southeast and takes you through the whole campus.

I'll be getting to green918 and tony_rocky_horror's questions in a little bit. I'm just about to wrap up legal writing and head home (if people will ever stop asking dumb f-ing questions). Check back in a few hours for best results.