Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thinking about Law  (Read 3880 times)

Edwin Mcmasters Stanton

• View Profile
    • Email
Thinking about Law
« on: September 24, 2008, 10:58:29 PM »
Well it has always been on my mind to be a Lawyer of sorts or some sort of Politician.  So I am considering Law right now.  I am taking "you and the law" at my school and... well its the only kind of Law type class I have.  What would you guys recommend for me to get on the right track?

augusta

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about Law
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 07:29:39 PM »
You don't have to study law to be prepared for law school. They'll teach you what you need to know once you get there. At this point you should focus on taking as wide a variety of classes as you can--explore your interests, or potential interests, and get all you can out of it while you're doing it. Do as well as you can, in whatever classes you do take, because that's going to set you up for getting into a good undergraduate school. But don't stress about that, either--not everyone can go Ivy, and you don't need to in order to get into a good law school or be a good lawyer. The main thing is to develop yourself as thoroughly as possible, which means dig into whatever is available. And have fun!! :)
3.67/Oct. LSAT

Edwin Mcmasters Stanton

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 03:49:43 PM »
Thank you for the advice it is much apreciated  :)

malajong

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - mellie_baybay@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 10:19:10 AM »
I agree. Also in high school the reallty do not focus on things such as law. If you're really that intrested then you could maybe take a duel enrollment class at a local community college for law related subjects. Or you can even talk to your councilers and the might be able to get you on a one-on-one interview,a day at the job, or even a mentorship! ;D :P
~SpEc!al*mAd3~

rhesusman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 10:21:12 PM »
There's no "right track" for you to get on.  You're not even at the station and you haven't bought a ticket.  There is no class you can take in high school or at a community college that will give you any meaningful advantage in either getting into law school or in succeeding once there.

The only thing I would recommend that you do at your age is to talk to friends and family in the legal profession and ask them what their lives and careers are like, or better yet, try to get a job working as some kind of office assistant at a law firm so you can see what it's like to work as an attorney (networking a must for this).  This won't give you any advantages over other would-be law students, but it will allow you to make a more informed decision as to whether this is a career path you really want to follow.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 09:22:54 PM »
There's no "right track" for you to get on.  You're not even at the station and you haven't bought a ticket.  There is no class you can take in high school or at a community college that will give you any meaningful advantage in either getting into law school or in succeeding once there.

The only thing I would recommend that you do at your age is to talk to friends and family in the legal profession and ask them what their lives and careers are like, or better yet, try to get a job working as some kind of office assistant at a law firm so you can see what it's like to work as an attorney (networking a must for this).  This won't give you any advantages over other would-be law students, but it will allow you to make a more informed decision as to whether this is a career path you really want to follow.

What high schooler had friends in the legal profession?  The only friends I had that worked during high school worked at WAWA and they couldnt provide me any meaningful insight...

rhesusman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 10:36:58 AM »

What high schooler had friends in the legal profession?  The only friends I had that worked during high school worked at WAWA and they couldnt provide me any meaningful insight...

I mean more like friends of parents.  Everyone's mom or dad probably knows a lawyer who could be networked into providing some kind of summer job.